» journalism

Prizewinning photojournalists tell how work can stand out in a sea of instant images

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAPEVINE, Texas, U.S.A. – It is a common saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is – regardless of what language you speak, the religion you take faith in, or the part of the world you reside. At the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference outside of Dallas, Texas, four Pulitzer Prize winners spoke about their international experiences with photojournalism and offered advice to fellow photographers. The four panelists – Smiley … Read entire article »

Filed under: Carol Guzy, Garret Reich, journalism, Mayborn, Mayborn Conference, photography, Pulitzer Prize\, Texas, YJI Students

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Victims In Paris Attack Are Wrongly Being Used Worldwide As Political Pawns

By Emily Couch Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International COTLEIGH, Devon, England – Seventeen individuals died during Paris’s horrific three days of terror, 17 people from families who each mourn the loss of a father, son, daughter or relation. Whatever the circumstances, death is shattering for those left behind.  With this in mind, I want to pose a question: how would you feel if your loved one was lost under that weighty millstone, the symbolism of his … Read entire article »

Filed under: Al Qaeda, Cotleigh, Devon, Emily Couch, free speech, Islam, journalism, Muslims, terrorism, U.K., United Kingdom

Offensive Speech Like That At Charlie Hebdo Needs Protection Most Of All

By Kyle Schaff Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – As the world reflects on the Charlie Hebdo massacre – now that three suspects are dead and another additional five innocents murdered – people will undoubtedly place part of the blame on the satirical newspaper for its provocative satire. They’ll point out that Charlie Hebdo has received death threats for years and had even been firebombed back in 2011. They’ll argue that if the French journalists … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, France, free speech, freedom, journalism, Kyle Schaff, opinion, U.S.A., West Hartford

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Woodward To Student Journalists: Do Your Research, Then Go Out And Get The Story

youthjournalism.org An overflow crowd of student journalists and teachers filled a Washington, D.C. hotel ballroom to hear legendary journalist Bob Woodward deliver the keynote address at the National Scholastic Press Association. The students greeted Woodward with a standing ovation. By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – Young reporters need to get out and talk to people if they want a good story, legendary investigative reporter Bob Woodward told a crowd of student journalists. “The best source of information … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bob Woodward, D.C., journalism, Mugdha Gurram, Van Nguyen, Washington

Up Close And Personal With The Berlin Wall

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org Part of the Berlin Wall, on display at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – The West Side: Artistically represented with vibrant colors. Someone spray painted the words “Act Up!” across the wall, indicating the freedom that the citizens had on that side. You could tell that a thriving community flourished there under a democratic government, with a free press and citizens at liberty to paint the wall … Read entire article »

Filed under: Berlin Wall, Hila Yosafi-Lehman, journalism, Mirwais Kakar, Mugdha Gurram, Newseum, Sydney Hallett, Washington D.C.

Newseum Displays Unforgettable Images

Newseum Displays Unforgettable Images

Van Nguyen / youthjournalism.org The broadcast antenna of the World Trade Center’s North Tower, destroyed in the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001. Behind the tower are newspaper front pages from that time. By Van Ngoc Nguyen Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – While attending the fall conference of National Scholastic Press Association, I had the precious opportunity to visit the Newseum. This museum of news is truly an ideal place for student reporters and photographers to get worthy information … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9/11, Boston Marathon bombing, D.C., journalism, Newseum, Van Nguyen, Vietnam, Washington

FBI Artifacts, The Berlin Wall, Unabomber Cabin And More – The Newseum Has It All

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org An open air balcony on the top floor of the Newseum offers a spectacular view of the U.S. Capitol. The flags of the Canadian embassy hang from the building next door. By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – With exhibits that included a piece of the Berlin Wall and others that focused on 9/11 and years of Pulitzer Prize-winning photos, it’s tough to make it through a fraction of the displays at the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Berlin Wall, D.C., journalism, Mugdha Gurram, Newseum, photography, Washington

SportsCenter Anchor Jay Harris Advises Student Journalists: Don’t Ever Give Up

By Van Ngoc Nguyen Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – In a down-to-earth and entertaining way, ESPN anchor Jay Harris offered useful advice recently to student journalists at the National Scholastic Press Association’s fall conference last week. “From today on, shine, just shine,” said Harris, who anchors the 6 p.m. edition of SportsCenter. Harris, a keynote speaker at last week’s conference, talked about his journey in journalism, beginning in 1982, when he was in eighth grade. “When I embarked on … Read entire article »

Filed under: ESPN, Jay Harris, journalism, National Scholastic Press Association, news, Van Nguyen, Washington D.C.

Congressman: U.S. Can Unite Against ISIS, Confront Terrorists With Global Support

By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Taking action against ISIS over the brutal murders of two American journalists – and concern for what the terrorists might do next – could be something that unites Congress and the nation, said U.S. Rep. John Larson. Larson, a Connecticut Democrat, condemned Congress for its lack of action on ISIS or other matters. He called for President Obama to come before Congress and ask them to vote on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Hartford, journalism, Mugdha Gurram, news, terrorism, U.S. Rep. John Larson, U.S.A., War

Journalist Jim Foley’s Life Inspires The Next Generation At Youth Journalism International

Click on the photo to enlarge it. We post this photo today in memory of James Foley, a gifted and brave American journalist who was brutally murdered last month by ISIS terrorists. Foley had been working in Syria in November 2012 when he was abducted. We want his family, friends and colleagues to know that his life inspires us at Youth Journalism International, which helps students worldwide, including in the most troubled places, to tell their … Read entire article »

Filed under: James Foley, journalism, Syria, terrorism

Journalist James Foley Put His Life On The Line For Truth And Deserves Our Respect

Journalist James Foley in Tripoli, Libya in August, 2011. Photo by Jonathan Pedneault, used with permission through the www.freejamesfoley.org website.   By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – He risked his life for our news. I write this, sitting in a safe neighborhood in greater Houston, with headphones on and internet connected, far removed from any and all conflict, barring the occasional wars of words whenever my natural teenage instinct to disagree with most of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, Houston, James Foley, journalism, Syria, Texas, U.S.A.

Seeing The World Through Google Glass

Seeing The World Through Google Glass

youthjournalism.orgYJI Senior Reporter Mary Majerus-Collins wearing Google Glass By Mary Majerus-Collins Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y., U.S.A. – Google’s new piece of famous tech, Google Glass, allows the user to browse the internet, take pictures and video, share on social media and more, all while remaining relatively hands-free. At the Google for Media Summit in Manhattan on Monday, I got to try it. Google Glass fits and feels just like a normal pair of glasses. The sample pair … Read entire article »

Filed under: Google, Google Glass, journalism, Manhattan, Mary Majerus-Collins, media, New York, social media