» U.S.A.

Avoiding A Close Encounter With A Snake

Avoiding A Close Encounter With A Snake

Olivia Wright and Kitty, her boa constrictor. Wright, who loves reptiles, offers tips for those who don’t share her passion. She says Kitty is “a real sweetheart.” By Olivia Wright Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NASHVILLE, Tennessee, U.S.A. – Spring is a season of sun, flowers, April showers, and … reptiles. After months of brumation, or dormancy, they are just as eager as we are for somewarm weather. And spring is the time of year when people and snakes most … Read entire article »

Filed under: Nashville, Olivia Wright, Perspective, Tennessee, U.S.A.

The Great Gatsby – Still Fresh At Age 90

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – In a 1920s tale of gluttony, greed, and societal lust, author F. Scott Fitzgerald penned The Great Gatsby. Published in 1925 – 90 years ago – The Great Gatsby tells the story of upper class society through the eyes of Nick, the middle-class cousin of the main love interest, Daisy Buchanan, and friend of the main protagonist, Jay Gatsby. The book shows to what lengths the characters will … Read entire article »

Filed under: book review, Missouri, Oakville, opinion, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Peaceful Spring Warmth At Old Hickory Lake

Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org In Hendersonville, Tennessee, the calm waters of Old Hickory Lake Monday evening. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee on Monday evening. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org Sunset on Monday at Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org Signs of peace are everywhere at Old Hickory Lake. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org On the bank of Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org The sunset’s hues turn pink and purple Monday evening at Old Hickory … Read entire article »

Filed under: Hendersonville, nature, Olivia Wright, photography, Tennessee, U.S.A.

‘The Phantom’ Does Not Disappoint

‘The Phantom’ Does Not Disappoint

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International ST. LOUIS, Missouri, U.S.A. – Walking into St. Louis’ beautiful Fox Theatre Wednesday for the opening night of The Phantom of the Opera’s latest American tour, I expected without a doubt that it would be the best musical I’d ever see. I was especially excited for this show since The Phantom is absolutely one of my favorite musicals, and I was familiar with two of the main cast members. Taking my seat, I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, Phantom of the Opera, review, reviews, St. Louis, Sydney Hallett, theater, theater review, U.S.A.

The Annual Oscars Disappointment

The Annual Oscars Disappointment

Jonathan Lee / youthjournalism.org By Jonathan Lee Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International EL PASO, Texas, U.S.A. – The Oscars – whether you’re a movie person or not, you’ve probably heard of this prestigious award show. You’ve also probably been sorely disappointed by the results. Maybe you were rooting for the reclusive Song of the Sea to win top honors for best animated feature film, or maybe the fast-paced jazz-inspired movie, Whiplash to take the cake. Whatever it may be, it seemed … Read entire article »

Filed under: Academy Awards, awards, El Paso, Jonathan Lee, movies, Oscars, Texas, U.S.A.

‘The DUFF,’ A Realistic View Of High School

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri – Most high school movies tell you absolutely nothing about high school and give students unrealistic expectations about freshman through senior year. Whether students burst out into song, get into drama with different cliques, or are run over by a school bus, most movies don’t help with an eighth grader’s fear of high school. The DUFF, to be released Friday, Feb. 20, breaks away from stereotypical high school movies … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, movie review, movies, Oakville, review, reviews, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Don’t Bother Going Into The Woods, Unless You’re Bringing A Little Kid With You

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – When I first heard about Into the Woods, I had high hopes. I had listened to the original Broadway cast soundtrack a couple months before I saw it and was quite excited for a movie adaptation of the 1985 musical. With good reviews, a MetaScore of 70 and a 72 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, I was really excited to see the movie. I love musicals in general, so Into … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, movie review, movies, Oakville, reviews, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Offensive Speech Like That At Charlie Hebdo Needs Protection Most Of All

By Kyle Schaff Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – As the world reflects on the Charlie Hebdo massacre – now that three suspects are dead and another additional five innocents murdered – people will undoubtedly place part of the blame on the satirical newspaper for its provocative satire. They’ll point out that Charlie Hebdo has received death threats for years and had even been firebombed back in 2011. They’ll argue that if the French journalists … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, France, free speech, freedom, journalism, Kyle Schaff, opinion, U.S.A., West Hartford

State Court Rules 17-Year-Old Has No Right To Reject Chemo

Kiernan Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org The view of the state Supreme Court courtroom where justices heard the case concerning a 17-year-old Connecticut girl with cancer who sought the right to refuse lifesaving treatment. By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – A 17-year-old Connecticut girl will continue to receive lifesaving chemotherapy against her wishes, the state Supreme Court ruled Thursday. The Windsor Locks teen — referred to as Cassandra C. in court documents — sought a legal ruling … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Hartford, health, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, U.S.A.

Getting The Inside Scoop On Radio Journalism From The Best: WNYC

youthjournalism.org In the control room at WNYC Tuesday morning. By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – As you tune into the local news, you hear birds chirp. There is a faint sound of a nearby creek in the background as a local juice maker details the steps he takes in creating the county’s finest lemonade. While initially drawn into the scene, you are suddenly overcome with the urge to go to the bathroom. Sorry, I got … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Brian Lehrer, Karen Rouse, Mary Majerus-Collins, New York, newspapers, radio, U.S.A., WNYC

Stay Out Of Ferguson Echo Chamber: Hearing Opposing Views Is Crucial

By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Minutes after the Ferguson grand jury’s decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the fatal August shooting of teenager Michael Brown, my newsfeed exploded. This didn’t really come as a surprise. I’m friends with a lot of highly opinionated, politically engaged people, and many of them had interesting reactions to the news. From all sides of the political spectrum came thoughtful, insightful responses.I didn’t always agree with … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, opinion, racism, U.S.A., West Hartford

Hanukkah Means Food, Family And Lights

Hanukkah Means Food, Family And Lights

Olivia Kalsner Kershen / youthjournalism.org One family’s collection of menorahs, lit for the fourth night of Hanukkah. By Olivia Kalsner Kershen Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – “Come on everyone! It’s time to light candles for Hanukkah!” my mother shouts to us from downstairs. My brothers and I pull away from our homework, cell phones or other distractions and trudge downstairs to celebrate the Festival of Lights. As I child, Hanukkah was always my favorite holiday. There was … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, family tradition, Hanukkah, Holidays, Olivia Kalsner Kershen, U.S.A., West Hartford

Bittersweet Life Lessons Of ‘Aftershock’

By Van Nguyen Reporter Youth Journalism International NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts, U.S.A. – In the summer of 1976, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake killed more than 200,000 people in the city of Tangshan in northeastern China. Although it lasted only 23 seconds, the disaster caused the most casualties in the 20th century. Aftershocks continued to bury the lives of the people trapped in the rubble 15 hours later. Reconstructing the most terrible earthquake of China in the 20th century, the 2010 movie … Read entire article »

Filed under: China, earthquake, Massachusetts, movie review, movies, Northampton, review, reviews, U.S.A., United States, Van Nguyen

‘The Interview’ Must Go On

‘The Interview’ Must Go On

By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Hollywood is no stranger to political satire. Poking fun at foreign leadership has been a tradition of comedy films ever since Rufus T. Firefly took over the nation of Freedonia in the Marx Brothers’ 1933 comedy Duck Soup. One of the greatest comedies ever made, Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, came out in 1964 during the height of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Boston, Bristol, Connecticut, movies, North Korea, U.S.A.

Feminism And The Beyoncé Paradox

Feminism And The Beyoncé Paradox

By Johanna Boedenauer Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NORCROSS, Georgia, U.S.A. – Most people don’t realize they’re feminists. Perhaps writer Lena Dunham, who created and stars in the hit HBO series “Girls,” said it best in a 2013 interview with news website Metro, “Do you believe that women should be paid the same for doing the same jobs? Do you believe that women should be allowed to leave the house? Do you think that women and men both … Read entire article »

Filed under: Beyoncé, feminism, Georgia, Johanna Boedenauer, music, Norcross, U.S.A.