» Yelena Samofalova

YJI Students And Alums Share A Great Day Of Adventures In New York City

youthjournalism.org Embarking on the High Line are, from left: YJI alums Rachel Jennings and Jennifer Rajotte, YJI student Kiernan Majerus-Collins, alum Brian LaRue, YJI co-founder Jackie Majerus, YJI students Mary Majerus-Collins, Yelena Samofalova and Alan Burkholder. NEW YORK, N.Y. – Early Tuesday, a small group of Youth Journalism International student reporters and a couple of advisors took off from Connecticut for a day in New York City. Before the end of our day, we’d connected with YJI … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Brian LaRue, Jackie Majerus, Jennifer Rajotte, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Mary Majerus-Collins, Michael Nguyen, Natalie Ponte, New York, Rachel Jennings, Steve Collins, Yelena Samofalova

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center on Tuesday. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – Just when I thought Times Square couldn’t get any brighter, it did. The ad-filled, obscenely crowded center of New York is even more spectacular during the week of the winter holidays. youthjournalism.org YJI student reporters Alan Burkholder, Mary Majerus-Collins and Yelena Samofalova in front of a display of giant Christmas lights in New York. As we linked hands and made our way around the city blocks to prevent getting separated by … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Christmas, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, New Year's Eve, New York, New York City, Rockefeller Center, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Thumbs Up For Creepy Coliseum

Thumbs Up For Creepy Coliseum

Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org A side view of the replica of the Roman Coliseum in a Halloween yard display on North Main Street in West Hartford, Connecticut. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org A replica of a Roman temple stands next to the creepy Coliseum. Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The front door of the house is flanked by bloody skeletal gladiators and a coffin rests in the middle of the walkway to the door. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org More figures on the side of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Halloween, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, U.S.A., United States, West Hartford, Yelena Samofalova

Lesson From The Librarian Of Congress: To Understand The World, Read Stories

youthjournalism.org Yelena Samofalova of Youth Journalism International interviews Librarian of Congress James Billington.   By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Stories are essential to understanding the world – far more important than any theory, according to James Billington, America’s Librarian of Congress. “A story always brings people together,” Billington said. “You want to hear the story. You want to know how it ends.”Any good story is worth reading, said Billington, who has led the Library of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford, James Billington, Library of Congress, Yelena Samofalova

Congressman James Clyburn Connects Environmental Issues And Health

In an interview with Youth Journalism International Senior Reporter Yelena Samofalova, Congressman James Clyburn talks about his own work on environmental and health issues. Clyburn was in Hartford at the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center on Sunday to promote his new book. *** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Climate change, Connecticut, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford, Rep. James Clyburn, South Carolina, Yelena Samofalova

Congressman Hails Climate Change March

*** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Climate change, John Larson, Yelena Samofalova

At New York Media Summit, Google Touts Fusion As New Visual Storytelling Tool

youthjournalism.org Daniel Sieberg, Head of Outreach, Google for Media, spoke at the Google for Media Summit about changes in the way news is presented and consumed. By Mary Majerus-Collins, Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International NEW YORK CITY, N.Y., U.S.A. – Ordinary data can be presented in a more interesting, visual way on a map or graph by using a new Google Drive application called Fusion. Journalists got a lesson on the application, which is still in the testing … Read entire article »

Filed under: Google, journalism, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, New York, New York City, New York Times, The New York Times, U.S.A., Yelena Samofalova

Bears Go Hungry, But Mosquitos Make A Feast Of Tasty First-Time Campers

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org The sunset at Wesley Island State Park By Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International WESLEY ISLAND STATE PARK, New York, U.S.A. – As first-time campers, we were a bit wary of what to expect the first time we spent the night in the woods. Mary Majerus-Collins /  youthjournalism.org The Toronto Tour 2014  logo Of course, we’d heard about all the usual stuff: sleeping in tents, roasting marshmallows, eating dinner by the fire and all that. We anticipated an … Read entire article »

Filed under: camp, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Thousand Islands, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Beautiful Boldt Castle And Its Sad Love Story

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org The view of the St. Lawrence River from Boldt Castle. By Mugdha Gurram and Yelena Samofalova Reporters YouthJournalism International THOUSAND ISLANDS, New York, U.S.A. – On the border between Canada and the United States, the St. Lawrence River is filled with tons of small islands, some with vacation homes on them and others just covered in trees. One of the biggest attractions in the Thousand Islands area is the vacation home and nearby yacht house of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boldt Castle, Canada, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Thousand Islands, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, United States, Yelena Samofalova

Sand In Our Shoes: Hiking The Dunes Trail

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org Part of the Sand Dune Trail at Sandbanks Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada. By Yelena Samofalova, Mugdha Gurram and Mary Majerus-Collins Reporters Youth Journalism International SANDBANKS PROVINCIAL PARK, Ontario, Canada – A circular, winding path leads through the dunes next to Lake Ontario. Gravel, boardwalk and sand compose the path and each step onto the loose wooden planks sends your feet dipping down into the sand. The path leads through and around the dunes, through many trees and past … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, Ontario, sand dunes, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Toronto’s Harbourfront Has Plenty For All

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org A fire eater performs before a crowd on Toronto’s Harbourfront By Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – Toronto’s Harbourfront draws young people for its views, food and atmosphere. All sorts of people showed up one recent sunny Saturday. Yiqing Zhai, who is 22 and attends Seneca College, said although she lives in Scarporoat, a nearby town, she comes to Toronto often. She usually comes for shopping and going out to different eateries in the city. That day, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mehran Shamit, Mugdha Gurram, news, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Toronto Tour 2014: Meeting The City And Each Other, Then Working Together

youthjournalism.org YJI reporters Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram, both of Connecticut, enjoy the Toronto Harbourfront. By Mugdha Gurram Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada  – Toronto is a large and beautiful city, and we were welcomed kindly by the people we met there, although the collies with us may have had a part in that. Even though we spent most of the day at the Harbourfront, we did get to see a lot of Toronto while walking around the city, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Caroline Nelissen, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mehran Shamit, Mugdha Gurram, Teague Neal, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Paddle, Paddle, Paddle Your Boat – If You Can – At Toronto’s Busy Harbourfront

youthjournalism.org YJI reporters Caroline Nelissen, of the Netherlands, and Mugdha Gurram of the United States, try to get their paddle boat out beyond the dock at Toronto’s Harbourfront.  By Caroline Nelissen, Mehran Shamit, Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – Paddle-boating is harder than it looks, especially for a bunch of first-timers. Toronto Tour 2014 logo byMary Majerus-Collins In our defense, we came up with a list explaining why: 1.   The steering is counter intuitive. youthjournalism.org YJI reporters Caroline Nelissen … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Caroline Nelissen, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mehran Shamit, Mugdha Gurram, paddle boats, summer, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, Yelena Samofalova

Inferno Under The Big Top: Survivors Remember The Hartford Circus Fire

By Tom Vaughn, Yelena Samofalova and Mary Majerus-Collins Reporters Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – After 70 years, the horrors of the Hartford Circus Fire are still vivid for survivors who escaped the burning Big Top as children. “It was chaos,” said Carol Tillman Parrish, who went to the circus with the Arsenal School summer camp when she was just six years old. As Parrish watched from the bleachers, she saw a woman on a high wire on a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford, Hartford Circus Fire, Mark Twain House, Mary Majerus-Collins, Tom Vaughn, Yelena Samofalova

Niagara Falls Lives Up To Its Legend

Niagara Falls Lives Up To Its Legend

youthjournalism.org Niagara Falls is a spectacular sight, whether from an observation tower, where this photo was taken, or from the walkways around it. The people in the photo are using a path to the “Crow’s Nest” observation spot. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NIAGARA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – One of the most famous attractions in the United States and Canada is Niagara Falls, a place of natural beauty surrounded by tons of museums, souvenir shops and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Maid of the Mist, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Niagara Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova