» Connecticut

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Don’t choose “macho contest” now

Don’t choose “macho contest” now

By Melissa Luna Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) I found out about the bombing at school and I was shocked and scared beyond belief. Today is the anniversary of my grandfather’s death, and the events that happened today did not help at all. I pray that everyone who lost a loved one is consoled and I also pray that our leaders make the right decisions! I hope that our president thinks of the people who would … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Melissa Luna

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

By Mike Nguyen Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) Well, as if my day could get any longer or eventful, this happens. But what did happen? The worst place to hear about a terrorist strike and New York City in shambles is the rumor mill at your local high school. But actually, we actually got it right instead of “UFO’s abducted New York!!” Well, at least it was lunch and I could enjoy some Mozzarella sticks, … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Mike Nguyen, terrorism

Hill-Stead Museum Is A Winter Work Of Art

Zhang Xinxin / youthjournalism.org Large icicles hang from the front of the Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington, Conn. on Wednesday. The museum is home to world class art, including many works from the Impressionists. Wang Xindi / youthjournalism.org Visitors get a snowy welcome to the Hill-Stead. Zhang Xinxin / youthjournalism.org The stone walls on the Hill-Stead property are now covered in snow. Wang Xindi / youthjournalism.org The long drive gives the visitor a sense of grandeur, but does not convey the priceless art … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Farmington, Hill-Stead Museum, museums, photography, Wang Xindi, winter, Zhang Xinxin

Photo Essay: Touring Trinity College

Photo Essay: Touring Trinity College

Yang Shanghua / youthjournalism.org The 1933 Gothic style Trinity College Chapel stands out on campus.  Yang Shanghua / youthjournalism.org Inside the chapel, tour guide Jacqueline Bosa, right, tells a tour group about the historic building. Yang Shanghua / youthjournalism.org The front of the chapel. Yang Shanghua / youthjournalism.org The organ in the main chapel at Trinity College contains nearly 5,000 pipes. Yang Shanghua / youthjournalism.org The Long Walk passes the Gothic building that both houses students and contains classroom and office space. Yang Shanghua / … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Hartford, Trinity College, Yang Shanghua

Downtime At The Connecticut Capitol

Downtime At The Connecticut Capitol

Yan Haizhao / youthjournalism.org The dome of the Connecticut State Capitol building is as pretty from inside as it is on the exterior. Yan Haizhao / youthjournalism.org The Connecticut State Senate chamber inside the Capitol. Yan Haizhao / youthjournalism.org The Capitol Press Room has all the wonderful quirkiness of any good newsroom. youthjournalism.org Students from Hall High School in West Hartford explored the Connecticut State Capitol with visiting students from China late Tuesday afternoon. There, they met Paul Mounds, who is Gov. … Read entire article »

Filed under: China, Connecticut, government, Hartford, history

A Blizzard Begins And The Snow Drifts

A Blizzard Begins And The Snow Drifts

Max Turgeon / youthjournalism.org The snow from the blizzard starts to accumulate at this home in Newington, Conn. about 10:30 Monday night. Conditions are deteriorating and the wind is blowing. By Max Turgeon / youthjournalism.org About 8 a.m. Tuesday, the snow was still falling at a moderate pace. Accumulations reached about 20 inches here in Newington, with drifts up to 30 inches against the house. Max Turgeon / youthjournalism.org Noon Tuesday on the side of the house. The path is … Read entire article »

Filed under: blizzard, Connecticut, Max Turgeon, Newington, snow, snow day, storms, weather

Offensive Speech Like That At Charlie Hebdo Needs Protection Most Of All

By Kyle Schaff Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – As the world reflects on the Charlie Hebdo massacre – now that three suspects are dead and another additional five innocents murdered – people will undoubtedly place part of the blame on the satirical newspaper for its provocative satire. They’ll point out that Charlie Hebdo has received death threats for years and had even been firebombed back in 2011. They’ll argue that if the French journalists … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, France, free speech, freedom, journalism, Kyle Schaff, opinion, U.S.A., West Hartford

State Court Rules 17-Year-Old Has No Right To Reject Chemo

Kiernan Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org The view of the state Supreme Court courtroom where justices heard the case concerning a 17-year-old Connecticut girl with cancer who sought the right to refuse lifesaving treatment. By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – A 17-year-old Connecticut girl will continue to receive lifesaving chemotherapy against her wishes, the state Supreme Court ruled Thursday. The Windsor Locks teen — referred to as Cassandra C. in court documents — sought a legal ruling … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Hartford, health, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, U.S.A.

Stay Out Of Ferguson Echo Chamber: Hearing Opposing Views Is Crucial

By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Minutes after the Ferguson grand jury’s decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the fatal August shooting of teenager Michael Brown, my newsfeed exploded. This didn’t really come as a surprise. I’m friends with a lot of highly opinionated, politically engaged people, and many of them had interesting reactions to the news. From all sides of the political spectrum came thoughtful, insightful responses.I didn’t always agree with … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, opinion, racism, U.S.A., West Hartford

Hanukkah Means Food, Family And Lights

Hanukkah Means Food, Family And Lights

Olivia Kalsner Kershen / youthjournalism.org One family’s collection of menorahs, lit for the fourth night of Hanukkah. By Olivia Kalsner Kershen Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – “Come on everyone! It’s time to light candles for Hanukkah!” my mother shouts to us from downstairs. My brothers and I pull away from our homework, cell phones or other distractions and trudge downstairs to celebrate the Festival of Lights. As I child, Hanukkah was always my favorite holiday. There was … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, family tradition, Hanukkah, Holidays, Olivia Kalsner Kershen, U.S.A., West Hartford

‘The Interview’ Must Go On

‘The Interview’ Must Go On

By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Hollywood is no stranger to political satire. Poking fun at foreign leadership has been a tradition of comedy films ever since Rufus T. Firefly took over the nation of Freedonia in the Marx Brothers’ 1933 comedy Duck Soup. One of the greatest comedies ever made, Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, came out in 1964 during the height of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Boston, Bristol, Connecticut, movies, North Korea, U.S.A.

Thumbs Up For Creepy Coliseum

Thumbs Up For Creepy Coliseum

Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org A side view of the replica of the Roman Coliseum in a Halloween yard display on North Main Street in West Hartford, Connecticut. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org A replica of a Roman temple stands next to the creepy Coliseum. Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The front door of the house is flanked by bloody skeletal gladiators and a coffin rests in the middle of the walkway to the door. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org More figures on the side of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Halloween, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, U.S.A., United States, West Hartford, Yelena Samofalova

Diverse Forum Wrestles With How To Fix America’s “Broken” Political System

Max Turgeon / youthjournalism.org Speakers at The Connecticut Forum earlier this month. Karl Rove, who is speaking, is shown on the large screen. By Max Turgeon Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Presenting panelists of different political views, The Connecticut Forum recently provided an interesting exchange of ideas about what ails America’s political system and how to fix it. The program, “Debating our Broken Political System,” featured columnist Charles Blow of The New York Times, award-winning historian Doris … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Democrats, Hartford, Max Turgeon, opinion, politics, Republicans, U.S.A.

Lesson From The Librarian Of Congress: To Understand The World, Read Stories

youthjournalism.org Yelena Samofalova of Youth Journalism International interviews Librarian of Congress James Billington.   By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Stories are essential to understanding the world – far more important than any theory, according to James Billington, America’s Librarian of Congress. “A story always brings people together,” Billington said. “You want to hear the story. You want to know how it ends.”Any good story is worth reading, said Billington, who has led the Library of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford, James Billington, Library of Congress, Yelena Samofalova