» voting

Brexit is personal to Polish student in UK

Parliament. Photo by Yelena Samofalova/youthjournalism.org By Joanna Koter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   WHITBY, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom – I woke up on Friday, June 24 to take my math exam and headed for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I saw my friend, who is Polish too, and lives in the same boarding house. She says to me, “Do you want to hear the news?” I see her face and I instantly know the results of the voting that … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, European Union, Immigration, Joanna Koter, Poland, United Kingdom, voting

Nigerians Line Up At The Polls Saturday

Nigerians Line Up At The Polls Saturday

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Voters line up at a polling place Saturday in Ibadan, part of Oyo state in Nigeria. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org A woman in Ibadan casts a ballot in Saturday’s presidential election in Nigeria. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org People wait in line to vote in Ibadan, Nigeria, on Saturday. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Independent National Electoral Commission officials stand by as voters cast their ballots in Ibadan, Nigeria on Saturday. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Voting in progress in Ibadan, Nigeria on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Nigeria, voting

Scotland Voted No. Will Westminster Now Keep Its Promise About Sharing Power?

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – After years of debate, emotion and drama, Scotland voted No in Thursday’s independence referendum. The vote, reported early Friday, means Scotland will remain a part of the United Kingdom. In what was expected to be one of the closest run polls the country has ever seen, the Unionists clinched it with 55 percent of the vote compared to 45 percent for those who wanted Scotland to be an … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, elections, England, Myah Guild, Scotland, United Kingdom, voting

Scotland’s Rich Diversity Could Sway Thursday’s National Independence Vote

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The view over Lossiemouth Marina, Lossiemouth, in the Scottish highlands. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International FORRES, Moray, Scotland – On Thursday, when Scotland holds a vote on national independence, the United Kingdom will change forever. Whether Scotland votes for or against independence, the door has been opened and, as many people have observed over recent eventful weeks, it is not one which can be fully closed again. It’s not a well-liked opinion, but one … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Elgin, Myah Guild, Scotland, U.K., voting

Scottish Youth Hear Arguments For And Against National Independence

By Robert Guthrie Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International GLASGOW, Scotland – School children from all over Scotland attended a televised BBC debate Thursday on the issues surrounding the fast-approaching September 18 independence referendum. More than 7,000 pupils attended the event at Glasgow’s premier arena, the SSE Hydro.BBC News’ Scotland Correspondent James Cook moderated the debate, which followed a number of similar debates which have taken place in several Scottish cities with voters predominantly aged over 18. One of … Read entire article »

Filed under: elections, Glasgow, Robert Guthrie, Scotland, voting

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

youthjournalism.org In the Women’s Rights National Historical Park, three YJI reporters pose with statues of early women’s rights activists. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International SENECA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – Lots of American women’s history is contained in the small town of Seneca Falls, New York. Visitors can see the Wesleyan Chapel, the National Women’s Hall of Fame and several other museums and sites. As well as learning about the key events in 1848 entering on women’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Abolition, feminism, human rights, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, National Women's Rights Park, New York, Seneca Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, voting, Yelena Samofalova

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

YJI’s Jessica Elsayed, after casting her first vote after the Egyptian revolution. Across the United States today, people are heading to the polls to cast their ballots for president and other elected officials, part of a tradition of democracy stretching back well over two centuries. That democracy is the key to the freedom that allows Youth Journalism International to flourish and the hope for genuine liberty in every land. When people pick their own leaders, the world … Read entire article »

Filed under: democracy, elections, voting

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Voting Is The Key To A Better World

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

In February, YJI Reporter Bwette Daniel Gilbert of Kampala, Uganda, covered his country’s election and took photos of voters in line at the polls. In March, YJI Senior Reporter Jessica Elsayed, of Alexandria, Egypt, voted for the first time in her country’s historic post-revolution election.Since it’s Election Day in America and a lot of registered voters are staying home, here’s a sample of the level of voter interest, despite some dangers, for elections in Uganda … Read entire article »

Filed under: Africa, Alexandria, Bwette Daniel Gilbert, Egypt, Election Day, Jessica Elsayed, Kampala, Uganda, voting

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa