» Berlin Wall, D.C., journalism, Mugdha Gurram, Newseum, photography, Washington » FBI Artifacts, The Berlin Wall, Unabomber Cabin And More – The Newseum Has It All

FBI Artifacts, The Berlin Wall, Unabomber Cabin And More – The Newseum Has It All

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org
An open air balcony on the top floor of the Newseum offers a spectacular view of the U.S. Capitol. The flags of the Canadian embassy hang from the building next door.

By Mugdha Gurram

Reporter
WASHINGTON, D.C. – With exhibits that included a piece of the Berlin Wall and others that focused on 9/11 and years of Pulitzer Prize-winning photos, it’s tough to make it through a fraction of the displays at the Newseum, a museum of news.
The Pulitzer Prize Gallery featured a multitude of award winners dating back to 1942 and in the center is a wall covered with small version of the photographs, categorized by date.
Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org
The Unabomber’s cabin 

is part of the FBI exhibit
at the Newseum.

The surrounding walls are covered with enlarged photos with descriptions of what is shown and the circumstances of how the photographer captured the image.

These images varied from heartwarming to heartbreaking. The photographs spoke for themselves, but for some – such as the picture of a starving Sudanese child and a vulture taken by the late Kevin Carter – the descriptions made them even more meaningful.
One of my personal favorites at the Newseum was the FBI exhibit featuring federal criminal cases of bombers and serial killers. 

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org
Items that help document the arrest of the 1993 World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef are part of the FBI exhibit at the Newseum.

Mugdha Gurram /
youthjournalism.org

A Ku Klux Klan robe and

hood is part of the FBI

display at the Newseum.

The display included the handcuffs used to arrest Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind behind the 1993 World Center bombing, and a carefully preserved Ku Klux Klan costume.

They even had the cabin the infamous Unabomber used to live in.
The FBI exhibit is quite chilling. As a huge fan of crime mysteries, thought, I was fascinated by it. Any fellow Criminal Minds fans probably would be, too. On the other hand, to see the various objects that belong to such gruesome parts of history – well, it was a mix of emotions.

The top level of the Newseum included an open-air balcony that offered a beautiful view of the Capitol – and a great spot for a selfie.

Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at

Filed under: Berlin Wall, D.C., journalism, Mugdha Gurram, Newseum, photography, Washington