» Alli Hall, Florida, GOP, John McCain, Minnesota, Mitt Romney, Republican National Convention, Republicans, RNC, Tampa » Republican Convention: A Kid’s Point Of View

Republican Convention: A Kid’s Point Of View

Alli Hall / youthjournalism.org

Arizona Sen. John McCain addresses the Republican National Convention

By Alli Hall
Junior Reporter
TAMPA, Florida – There was another morning breakfast Wednesday, but sadly I did not attend, because our bus did arrive at the hotel until 2 a.m. and I wasn’t quite in the mood to get up at 7:30 a.m.
I’m a little bummed out because I missed the opportunity to meet Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. I did wake up later on, and went to a lunch where economist Peter Schiff was the keynote speaker.
I was lucky enough to be able to ask a question after his speech.

“For kids,” I asked, “what do we have to prepare for the future of our country?”

Schiff said that since the kids of this country are young we have a whole life ahead of us to make wise decisions to create a successful future for ourselves.
youthjournalism.org

YJI’s Alli Hall with economist Peter Schiff

He said that if this country doesn’t get back on the right path, when today’s American kids grow up, they will leave this country to find a country that will help them succeed, not one that will punish them for their success.
It was a fabulous lunch. As a kid, I learned a lot.
Later I went back to the Tampa Bay Times Forum for the Republican National Convention to listen to speeches from governors, senators and members of Congress.
Arizona Sen. John McCain, who was the party’s presidential nominee four years ago, made a very nice speech in support of Mitt Romney, who will be on the ticket running for president this year.
I really like McCain – he is such a hero of our country. I actually met McCain when I was about 10, before he even announced he was running for president.
The night before I met him, my dad told me that McCain could be our president one day, and I really took that to heart. The next day when I met him, I shook his and said, “My dad says you’re going to be president someday!”
He bent down, looked me in the eyes, and said, “Well, you have a VERY smart dad.”
youthjournalism.org

YJI reporter Alli Hall in Tampa

Ever since that day, McCain has been a great role model for me. Another speaker I enjoyed was former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty.
Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice made a wonderful speech. She was so passionate, and full of confidence. I swear, after every sentence of her speech, the whole audience would stand and clap and cheer as loud as they possibly could. She did a great job.
To end the night, Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan, the party’s candidate for vice president, blew the crowd away with a very passionate speech.
I had never heard of Ryan before this year, and I don’t think Romney could have chosen a better running mate.
Ryan is a down-to-earth man, and he knows what needs to be done in this country to get it back on the right path. He will be a great vice president.
I’m looking forward to hearing Romney’s speech tonight!

YJI Reporter Alli Hall, 15, of Duluth, Minnesota, is attending the Republican National Convention with her mom, who is an alternate from Minnesota. Read all of her dispatches and see all the photos at these links:

Filed under: Alli Hall, Florida, GOP, John McCain, Minnesota, Mitt Romney, Republican National Convention, Republicans, RNC, Tampa