GlobalGiving

For Immediate Release

April 1, 2011

Youth Journalism International Competes to Win GlobalGiving’s Open Challenge

A West Hartford-based nonprofit has chance to receive funding for its worldwide efforts to bolster the future of journalism via innovative online marketplace for philanthropy.

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Youth Journalism International today joined GlobalGiving’s Open Challenge, a fundraising challenge for non-profits who are doing impactful work around the world.

Youth Journalism International is also eligible for a permanent spot on GlobalGiving’s website, www.globalgiving.org, the internationally recognized marketplace for philanthropy that connects individual donors to the causes they care most about.

GlobalGiving is opening up its network of donors and corporate partners in an effort to support non-profits like Youth Journalism International that are providing much needed support to their local communities throughout the economic downturn.

“This is a great opportunity for us to take Youth Journalism International to a whole new level,” said Steve Collins, president of YJI’s board of directors. “We have so many talented young people around the world who are just waiting to get a chance to participate.”

Open participants will raise funds through www.globalgiving.org through the end of April.

Organizations participating in the challenge can earn a permanent spot on the GlobalGiving website if they successfully mobilize supporters to raise $4,000 from at least 50 unique donors through GlobalGiving during the contest.

If Youth Journalism Interational wins, it will also gain free access to innovative web 2.0 fundraising tools and connect to a broad network of thousands of donors and corporate and foundation partners already engaged in the GlobalGiving network.

“Non-profits like Youth Journalism International are deeply important to the wellbeing of communities all around the world, especially when folks are struggling,” said Mari Kuraishi, President and Co-Founder of GlobalGiving. “Many of our donors are looking for new opportunities to give back and we want to do everything we can to match the demand with the unbelievable need around the world. It is especially the small, grassroots efforts and creative innovators that do not have the institutional support from bigger institutions that we hope to help.”

Youth Journalism International is a recognized 501(c)(3) public charity by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. A non-governmental organization, YJI depends on donations from supporters to continue its important work training the next generation of journalists.

CONTACT: Jackie Majerus, Executive Director – (860) 655-8188