» About

About

All about Youth Journalism International

WHO?

Founded by two veteran reporters, Youth Journalism International works with more than 200 students across the globe, ages 12 to 24. Active alumni include lawyers, medical students, social workers and, of course, journalists. A growing corps of Ambassadors for YJI promotes the organization around the globe. YJI’s loyal readers number over 1 million people of all ages and from every nation.

Caroline Nelissen - YJI student, Netherlands: “When I joined Youth Journalism International, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s been better than I could’ve ever imagined. I don’t know any organization like this: truly committed to young people, journalism and, maybe most important, cultural exchange. YJI is not simply teaching young people about journalism and providing them with a place to publish, it’s about learning about yourself and the world, too. It’s a way to break barriers and to make people care about those who are thousands of miles away. And isn’t that one of the things we need most in this age, when divisions grow ever deeper and fear creeps into everyone’s life? Where will we be if we stop caring about the voices of people like us, whether they live right around the corner or in a place we’ll never visit? You don’t have to agree with people to respect and understand them. By giving young people a voice, YJI helps build a more caring world. If I hadn’t found YJI, I may not know yet what I know now: I want to be a journalist.”

WHAT?

Rich in diversity, YJI focuses on journalism, but also builds bridges across cultures and helps students grow into thoughtful world citizens. Working with editors one-on-one and in groups, students learn about writing, press responsibility and ethics. Reporting from their hometowns, students have interviewed everyone from Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama to the teen next door. Topics range from suicide, school violence and terrorism to music, movies and sports.

WHERE?

Though YJI is based in Connecticut and many of its young journalists are American, its students live in more than 40 other countries on six continents.

WHEN?

YJI began in 1994 as a local group and grew into a global organization. Incorporated in 2007, it gained approval from the IRS as a recognized nonprofit in 2010.

WHY?

The key to a better world lies with global understanding and truthful, effective communication. YJI’s students, who tell important stories from their own neighborhoods and nations, represent every major religion and many cultures. By bringing these dedicated and idealistic young people together and giving them a powerful voice, YJI paves the way toward a brighter future for all.

Youth Journalism International — a recognized 501(c)(3) public educational charity in the United States — is determined to operate transparently to the degree possible. On this page, you can find as many corporate documents as we can possibly share. Please feel free to let us know if you see anything that should be corrected, improved or otherwise changed. We are eager to hear from everyone interested in our success.

Articles of Incorporation (July 2007)

Youth Journalism International Bylaws (October 2009)

Board of Directors (October 19, 2009)

Annual Meeting Minutes (October 2009)

IRS Form 1023 (application for 501(c)(3) status (October 2009)

IRS Form 1023 additional information (October 2009)

Youth Journalism International Narrative

of Past, Present and Possible Future (October 2009)

Organization and First Report (February 2010)

IRS Declaration Letter (March 9, 2010)

To contact Youth Journalism International, contact us via email by clicking here.

You may also phone us:

Connecticut — (860) 523-9632

San Francisco — (415) 874-5693

Washington, D.C. — (202) 552-1406

SKYPE: youthjournalism

OR BY MAIL

Youth Journalism International

33 Griswold Drive

West Hartford, CT 06119

26 Responses to "About"

1. wilfred says:

what is a this (youth journalism)all about?

2. mahmhossanudul says:

its wonderful thing for young generation to find out their dreams true . i m very eager about journalism , and i am searching a reliable institution where i can get support to become a journalist.

3. ch salman sarwer gujjar says:

hi,
    i am new here. i don’t know well about the prospect of yji, i would like to know if there is any financial assistance for members??????

1. Steve says:

Youth Journalism International does not charge students. It is free. So, no, there is no financial assistance. We are a shoestring operation that desperately needs more money so we can hire full-time staff. All we have to give students is our blood, sweat and tears.

4. mukafya says:

am a Zambian youth aged 32,am studying journalism and was wondering how i can be a part of YJI.

1. Cris E. Avila says:

Hi im from Philippines, can we join

2. Cris E. Avila says:

Hi it’s only now that I read this post can we still join

1. Steve says:

Please send an email to yjieditor@gmail.com if the form isn’t working. Describe yourself and your ideas.

5. Hi this is Precious again from South Africa i am 26years old and i want to join this YJI with my friend but i don’t know how.

1. Steve says:

Precious,
      We are sorry, but YJI is only for students younger than 25. We wish you much luck in your journalism endeavors!

6. IT ABOLARINWA says:

Hi I am 14 and based in UK. I am interested in joining YJI how can go about it/

1. Steve says:

First, fill in the form under the JOIN tab above. Then start thinking about what you could write.
      If you don’t hear back from us, it’s because we are swamped, not because we don’t want you. Send us an email is you are eager to get started after filling in the form. Be sure to tell us you’ve filled it in completely.

7. ameur says:

Hi,i’m young tunisian.16 years old.if i join your program can i interact with americans and others from other contries in the US? :)

1. ameur says:

i mean if i join it i can go next year for an exchange in the Us?

1. ameni mathlouthi says:

no ameur you need the YES program to go for an exchange year in the US and contact AMIDEAST Tunis for that :) but YJI it about exchanging with the WORLD. it helps you to delever your words, your sorrow and your happiness not only to America but to the world. it is a place where you can find people who feel you and understand you. they are more eager to know about your life, your culture and society.

1. ameni mathlouthi says:

NOT for news catching but for the real sensation of humanity. they post your stories and the news you report with feelings.
            i am just so glad to belong to YJI family.
            we say Family because family members feel eachothers and each member of the YJI feels the other.

8. Alim says:

Hi, I’m a sixteen year old student from Calgary, Canada. My school directed me here, to learn more about the writing field. However, I’m more interested in creative writing (short stories and the like) than strict journalism. Would this be a good fit for me?

1. Steve says:

YJI does not do any fiction or poetry. That said, many successful creative writers — and probably lots of unsuccessful ones, too — have backgrounds in journalism.

9. adetipe adekunle says:

I am 33 years old but highly interested in journalism, can I still join YJI?

1. Steve says:

No. You must 25 or younger to participate. Sorry.

10. Monica G says:

Hello. I will be turning 16 this summer and I am extremely interested in joining. I’m still a little confused as to what the benifits of joining YJI are. A reply with some answers would be very helpful. Thanks!

1. Steve says:

The benefits include the chance to learn much more about journalism, get published by a respected news organization and add something cool to your resume or college application. It’s also a great place to make friends around the globe. We’re like a big family here!

11. I am 53,a Journalist based in Nigeria. I am interested in becoming a member of YJI. How do I go about that? Thank you.

1. Steve says:

We’re sorry, but we only work with young people until they are 25.

12. dr, munir butt says:

We should protect journalism.