KRIZEK, Paul

An Ambassador for Youth Journalism International

Paul Krizek

WORK:
Executive Director/General Counsel. Also serves as the General Counsel and Vice President for the affiliates of Christian Relief Services Charities, an organization with over 150 employees and an annual budget of around $60 million. Previous work includes eight years on Capitol Hill as a senior legislative assistant for Virginia Congressman, James P. Moran, managing the Congressman’s International Relations Committee assignment, especially working with the international NGO community on important legislative efforts like landmine clearance. Member of Congressional delegations to NATO, Korea, Algeria, and Western Sahara refugee camps, the United Nations, and as an election observer in El Salvador’s first post-war Presidential election. Joined the Christian Relief team as a volunteer in fundraising, founding an orphanage in Guatemala, and helping to open a pediatric hospital in Haiti, to name a few important accomplishments, and then as Executive Director of the affiliate, Running Strong for American Indian Youth, to assist American Indian children and increase charitable program capacity. Started Running Strong’s annual Reservation tour which is now in its 20th year.

EDUCATION:
JD from Catholic University Law School and a BA from the University of Virginia. Member of the D.C. and Virginia Bar Associations.

CHURCH:
Active member of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church of Alexandria, Virginia. Current Chair of the Endowment Committee, former Vestry member and longtime Outreach Committee member, Usher and Mission Committee member. Also served as an elected delegate to the Diocesan Council of Virginia for two years, electing a new Bishop. Mission experience in El Salvador and the Navajo Indian Reservation.

COMMUNITY SERVICE:
Current Treasurer, Family and Children’s Trust Fund of Virginia. Appointed by Virginia Governors Warner and Kaine for two four-year terms. Responsibilities include distributing funds to community based organizations focused on domestic violence. Other past community service include: Commissioner to the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority, with fiduciary responsibility and authority to set policy and mandate actions to carry out housing for low and moderate-income persons and community development programs in accordance with the state code; chairman of the Housing Oversight and Management Committee; member of the Finance Committee of the Authority; founding member of the Northern Virginia Workforce Investment Board (NVWIB) to identify the region’s workforce development needs and creating a comprehensive regional workforce development plan for services in the region (Fairfax, Loudon and Prince William Counties); the NVWIB’s first Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee; member of the Board of the Human Services Charities of America, a national federation of nonprofits participating in workplace giving; Treasurer, the Human Services Coalition of Northern Virginia. Former longtime member of the Human Services Council, represented the district’s interests, advising local Supervisor on human services issues and participating in budget negotiations. Former Chair, Fairfax County Task Force on Welfare Reform. Former Chair, Fairfax County Community Development Advisory Committee. Former Chair, Fairfax County Federation of Civic Associations Human Services Committee. Former Member, Fairfax County Community Action Advisory Board. Former Member, Hispanic Community Leadership Council of Fairfax County. Served 11 years as a member of the Virginia State Central Democratic Committee from the Eighth District, was Chair of the Fairfax County and Mount Vernon Democratic Committees and was elected as Delegate to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.