McCUE, Dr. Maureen

An Ambassador for Youth Journalism International

Dr. Maureen McCue, MD and PhD

Dr. McCue has traveled and worked extensively as a peace maker, researcher, and physician, and has helped organize many forums on cross cultural, global health, and women’s health issues.  She is the coordinator for the Iowa Chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility, a founding member and former Director of the Universityof Iowa Global Health Studies Program, and also a founding member and executive committee member of the UI Center for Human Rights.  She regularly interacts with international and domestic representatives of programs, disciplines, and perspectives regarding global health issues including participating in several unique peace, health and human rights events in the former Soviet Union, Nicaragua, Cuba, Ecuador, Haiti, India and Bangladesh.  Her most recent work has focused on Climate Change, Coal and their related threats to health, including that of the world’s youth and children.  She is one of the collaborating researchers for the recently published Recalibrating the Law of Humans with the Laws of Nature: Climate Change, Human Rights, and Intergenerational Justice published in 2009 by the Vermont Law School, and lead author most recently on the Iowa Coal Health Mapping Study.