» Archive

Florida youth react to terrorist attack on Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International MIAMI, Florida, U.S.A. – Shocked at the mass shooting at Pulse, a popular Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday, two young workers in Miami were also upset how the media was covering the shooting situation. “At first I didn’t know how to react to the shooting, just because of the fact that the way the news were reporting the story was one-sided,” said Ashley Hernandez, 21. Early Sunday morning, a gunman opened fire … Read entire article »

Filed under: Florida, gay pride, Gay rights, Maria Luiza Lago, Orlando, terrorism, YJI Students

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Two years later, Nigerian girls still missing

By Gideon Arinze Chijioke Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu State, Nigeria – It is two years today and the abducted Nigerian schoolgirls still remain missing. The kidnapping of more than 250 girls from a secondary school in Chibok triggered international outrage.  The hashtag #bringbackourgirls started a campaign for their safe return and according to The Guardian newspaper, it was tweeted over a million times. High profiles figures such as U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Pakistani education advocate Malala … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Gideon Arinze Chijioke, Nigeria, terrorism

Terrorists Poisoned Lahore’s Melting Pot

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Toddlers and children playing around the swings, people celebrating the joyous arrival of spring. It was Easter, a holiday widely celebrated in my city. This seems like the description of a nice evening at the park.  Would that it remained so. A suicide bomber attacked a local park in Lahore around 7 p.m. on Easter Sunday.  More than 60 people lost their lives and more than 300 families are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

By Amber Shakil Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Near where I live is Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, a beautiful place with birds, lakes and swings for children. It’s a popular public place for picnics, trips and family outings. I’ve been there several times.  People who live in other cities come to see it when they visit Lahore. Today, though, the park is filled with death and pain. A suicide bomber attacked the park, killing more than 60 people. Now ambulances are carrying … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Featured, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

Easter Bombing Claims Many Victims In Pakistan

Map showing location of Lahore, Pakistan.   By Irha Nadeem Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – More than 60 have lost their lives and more than 300 more were hurt in an Easter Sunday terror blast in Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, according to news reports here. While the Christian community was celebrating Easter in Pakistan on what seemed to be a normal weekend, the country was going through unrest.  On Sunday, there were protests in Islamabad, the capital city, resulting in a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Irha Nadeem, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism, YJI Students

Can Republicans Stop Donald Trump?

Can Republicans Stop Donald Trump?

By Max Turgeon Reporter Youth Journalism International NEWINGTON, Connecticut, U.S.A. – The Republican Party is undergoing a renewal. The rise of the “outsider” candidate has taken the GOP establishment by surprise. The leading Republican candidate for president, businessman Donald Trump, has seen his high poll numbers translate into votes and delegates that propel him toward the party’s nomination. But the establishment of the party is banding together to defeat Trump. I would be hesitant to call what is happening in the party … Read entire article »

Filed under: Donald Trump, Max Turgeon, Republicans

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

By Noah Kidron-Style Correspondent Youth Journalism International   AUSTIN, Texas, U.S.A. – Director Asif Kapadia’s powerful documentary Amy begins with home-video footage of a 14-year-old Amy Winehouse singing “Happy Birthday” to her childhood best friend Lauren Gilbert.  Sadly, we already know how the story ends. The cause of death was later revealed to be accidental alcohol poisoning, and for Winehouse’s millions of fans across the world it felt almost like losing a member of the family. As tributes flooded in, fans paid … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amy Winehouse, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, music, music review, Noah Kidron-Style

Trump Tells Iowa Crowd He Could ‘Shoot Somebody’ And Not Lose Votes

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International   SIOUX CENTER, Iowa, U.S.A. – Bragging about his own popularity with supporters, Republican Donald Trump told an Iowa crowd Saturday, “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose votes.” That boast from the presidential candidate – met with cheering from the audience –came after a long string of insults Trump hurled against the many Republican primary opponents he is trying to beat at the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Donald Trump, Garrett Reich, Iowa, Iowa Caucus, politics

Bernie Sanders In Iowa: Participants Of Democracy Will Shape The Future

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International UNDERWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – America’s future will be determined by those who take part in the democratic process, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders said at a campaign stop Tuesday. Sanders, a senator from Vermont who running for U.S. president, said he is very proud to have young people involved in his campaign. Asked what he would say to the youth of the country who don’t believe they are obligated to get involved … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bernie Sanders, elections, Garrett Reich, Iowa, Iowa Caucus

Pakistan Must Protect Students From Terror

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – As I walked through the corridor of my university department today, a friend told me the shocking news that terrorists had attacked another university in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I didn’t believe her. I called my mother, who was already listening to the news and she confirmed it. This time it was Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in the northwestern part of Pakistan, not very far from the border … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, education, Pakistan, terrorism

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

By Hafsa Ahmed Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – From a logical standpoint, feeling devastated by the death of an actor seems odd. You’ve never met that person, never talked to them and don’t even know half the things about their real life. All you’ve been exposed to is that actor’s screen persona, their portrayal of a fictional character. But Alan Rickman portrayed his characters so authentically that today, I feel as if I’ve parted from a dear … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Rickman, Alan Rickman, Hafsa Ahmed, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, movies

Shaken But Never Sunk: Terror In Paris

Shaken But Never Sunk: Terror In Paris

By Sara Chatterjee Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International   PARIS, France – Ten months after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, Paris came under siege again after shootings shook the city in four different neighborhoods and at least two bombs exploded at the national football stadium in St. Denis last night. As the night went on and the worst attack on France since World War II unfolded, terrorists took people inside the Bataclan, a renowned theatre in the heart of Paris, hostage … Read entire article »

Filed under: France, Paris, Sara Chatterjee, terrorism

In Any Language, Paris Needs Peace

In Any Language, Paris Needs Peace

By Ameni Mathlouthi Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BEJA, Tunisia – Paris, the City of Light, is darkened and mournful. When your heart is already shattered by the killing of a 15-year-old Tunisian shepherd by terrorists there, there isn’t much more to break when you learn about the attack on Paris that same day. This lightning strike one dark evening on the City of Light claimed more than 120 lives. People died near a soccer stadium where a match between … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ameni Mathlouthi, Paris, terrorism, Tunisia

Grieving For Paris, Fearing An Aftermath

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – I am in bed, listening to music and getting ready to get some sleep when I come across the news. Paris is “under attack.” It doesn’t register, and the more I search for news, the more it didn’t make any sense. Everyone seems as confused as I am. There are terrorist attacks on Paris that vary between bombings, explosions and straight out shootings, depending on the report. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Lama Tawakkol, Paris, terrorism