» Archive

Grieving For Paris, Fearing An Aftermath

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – I am in bed, listening to music and getting ready to get some sleep when I come across the news. Paris is “under attack.” It doesn’t register, and the more I search for news, the more it didn’t make any sense. Everyone seems as confused as I am. There are terrorist attacks on Paris that vary between bombings, explosions and straight out shootings, depending on the report. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Lama Tawakkol, Paris, terrorism

Helplessly Watching Terror Attack On Paris

By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International LEWISTON, Maine, U.S.A. – In the 21st century, the world experiences horror in real-time. Blasts and bullets break the peace of a Friday night in Paris, and smartphones across the globe buzz with the news. I am shocked, and then saddened. Reports now say more than 100 people are dead, but the number seems likely to be higher than that. The New York Times can’t say who’s responsible, but they note that on Twitter, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Paris, terrorism

See A Great Movie With YJI In Hartford

See A Great Movie With YJI In Hartford

HHARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – For one night only, Connecticut will have a special showing of an award-winning documentary film about the fight for press freedom in Afghanistan. Youth Journalism International, the World Affairs Council of Connecticut, and The Mark Twain House & Museum will present a special screening of Frame by Frame on Thursday, November 19 at 7 p.m. in the comfortable theater at The Mark Twain House & Museum. A reception will follow. Donations collected at this … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Mark Twain House, Youth Journalism International

Afghan Girls Soccer Team Wins Hearts

Afghan Girls Soccer Team Wins Hearts

By Katie Jordan Youth Journalism International SIMSBURY, Conn., USA — To most teens, summer camp is nothing out of the ordinary. But last week eight girls from Afghanistan wound up the summer camp experience of a lifetime. The girls, who are as young as 11 and as old as 16, came all the way from Kabul to attend a sports and leadership camp in Connecticut, sponsored by the Afghan Youth Sports Exchange, a non-profit organization. Living at the Ethel Walker … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Katie Jordan, Soccer, sports

Writers Kristof, WuDunn: Early Intervention Is The Best Way To Tackle Societal Woes

By Mugdha Gurram Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Empathy is one of the most important tools in combating social inequality, journalists Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn said. The husband and wife duo, who are co-authors of the 2014 book A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity and Half the Sky, published in 2009, spoke at a recent Harriet Beecher Stowe Center event. Both books provide insight into oppression, especially faced by women and girls, and ways people are making … Read entire article »

Filed under: Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mugdha Gurram, Nicholas Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn

Student gives first-hand account of 9-11 attack

This is a piece by former Youth Journalism International student Courtney Pendleton, originally published in The Bristol (Conn.) Press on Sept. 14, 2001. At the time, Pendleton was a sophomore studying art at New York University. She is now a neurosurgeon in Philadelphia. By Courtney Pendleton Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Tuesday morning I was going to the donut shop at the World Trade Center when my dorm’s receptionist accosted me about some package I needed to pick up. Half … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2001, 9-11, Courtney Pendleton, terrorism

Desperate Refugees Seeking Asylum Camp At Budapest’s Keleti Train Station

Megan Elizabeth Barlow / youthjournalism.org   Refugees camped out in the Keleti train station in Budapest on Tuesday. By Megan Elizabeth Barlow Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BUDAPEST, Hungary – Alarmingly high numbers of people have crossed the Mediterranean Sea this year, fleeing war and suffering in their home countries at home in the Middle East and Africa and hoping to find safety in Europe. This week saw, in a single day, more than 2,000 asylum seekers enter Hungary – despite its fenced border. Hungarian officials closed the Keleti train station … Read entire article »

Filed under: Germany, Hungary, Immigration, Megan Elizabeth Barlow, Refugees, Syria

Obama Inspires With Charleston Eulogy

Obama Inspires With Charleston Eulogy

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   GLENWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – President Barack Obama delivered an inspiring eulogy at the funeral for the Rev. Clementa Pinckney last week that may resonate for years to come. Pinckney, the pastor at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina, was leading the Bible study group June 17 when a man who was welcomed as a visitor shot and killed him and eight people in his congregation. Dylann Roof, a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Charleston, Garrett Reich, Obama, racism, terrorism

America Lives Up To Promise Of Equality With Supreme Court Gay Marriage Ruling

By Mugdha Gurram Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Today is a day that has been long awaited in America, and one that will be long be remembered in history books as one where the United States truly lived up to its promise of freedom and equality. In a ruling announced today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in favor of reversing the judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, making same-sex … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, Mugdha Gurram

Supreme Court’s Marriage Equality Ruling Reflects National Mood On Gay Rights

By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A.  – A U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states caps off an historic time for the nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens. In a decision released Friday, justices voted 5-4 that gay marriage is legal nationwide. Media coverage generally reflected American society’s increasing support of LGBT issues, but remained sharply divided in some circles. Evidence of the gradual acceptance of transgender Americans’ into mainstream … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, US Supreme Court

America Can’t Be A Nation Of Bystanders While A Racist Murders Nine Innocents

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International GLENWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – As it is, does there happen to be a context to pulling a gun on innocent people?  Or a context for pulling one in a church prayer circle because of the race of the worshippers? In Charlestown, South Carolina this week, there was what many would call a “church massacre” when a gunman killed six women and three men. Police arrested 21-year-old Dylann Roof for the murders. According … Read entire article »

Filed under: Garrett Reich, racism, terrorism

Charleston Massacre: Racist Hate Won’t End Until People Stop Labeling

By Jeevan Ravindran Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON, United Kingdom – The world is reeling after a white gunman opened fire in a black church on Wednesday night, killing nine innocent people at a Bible study. We all have one question on our minds – what is the world coming to? In 2015, the year when a transgender woman can appear on the cover of Vanity Fair and receive almost unanimous global support, you’d think people would have … Read entire article »

Filed under: Charleston, crime, Jeevan Ravindran, racism, terrorism

Go Back To The Park With Jurassic World

Go Back To The Park With Jurassic World

By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Kids love dinosaurs. Well, most kids love dinosaurs, anyway. That one simple fact is the reason why, after 22 years, Jurassic Park is still considered a classic movie. The original Jurassic Park, released in 1993, tells the story of a rich scientist named John Hammond who uses biotechnology to bring dinosaurs back to life as exhibits in an amusement park. Long story short, things go wrong, the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, film review, Movie, movie review

Nigeria’s New President Promises To Tackle Boko Haram, National Economy And More

By Linus Okechukwu Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu, Nigeria – Insecurity, endemic corruption, fuel and power shortages will be tackled head on, Nigeria’s new leader, President Muhammadu Buhari told a cheering crowd at his inauguration ceremony Friday in Eagles Square nestled in the capital city of Abuja. “Nigerians will not regret that they have entrusted national responsibility to us,” he said with a tone full of optimism. “We must not succumb to hopelessness and defeatism. We can fix … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, terrorism

Cleaning Up After The Quake In Kathmandu

Nischal Kharel / youthjournalism.org A rescue team from India works with members of the Nepalese Army to clear a house in Bhaktapur, Kathmandu.       Youth Journalism International student reporter and photographer Nischal Kharel of Pokhara, Nepal, is making occasional trips to Kathmandu to help, and to document the damage from the devastating earthquake and the disaster reliefefforts that followed and are continuing.   There are photos from a recent journey. Please check back for more.     Nischal Kharel / youthjournalism.org A view of … Read entire article »

Filed under: earthquake, Nepal, Nischal Kharel, Pokhara