» Entries tagged with "9-11"

Grief and horror

Grief and horror

Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — September 11, 2001. “Oh my God.” A day to remember. America’s fall from grace has stirred up much antipathy and the terrorist attack has touched a universal nerve. Before rooting out the real reasons and giving the finger to culprits, stop reeling, be calm and tell yourself that reality is more complicated. The U.S. motto “In God We Trust” is placed on all its currency. We can’t turn back time. We can only grieve and cherish the memories … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Don’t choose “macho contest” now

Don’t choose “macho contest” now

By Melissa Luna Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) I found out about the bombing at school and I was shocked and scared beyond belief. Today is the anniversary of my grandfather’s death, and the events that happened today did not help at all. I pray that everyone who lost a loved one is consoled and I also pray that our leaders make the right decisions! I hope that our president thinks of the people who would … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Melissa Luna

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

By Mike Nguyen Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) Well, as if my day could get any longer or eventful, this happens. But what did happen? The worst place to hear about a terrorist strike and New York City in shambles is the rumor mill at your local high school. But actually, we actually got it right instead of “UFO’s abducted New York!!” Well, at least it was lunch and I could enjoy some Mozzarella sticks, … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Mike Nguyen, terrorism

Thousands of reasons to pay attention

Thousands of reasons to pay attention

By Katie Jordan Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) I first heard about it at lunch. A friend of mine came up to me as I was about to sit at one of the tables. She asked if I’d heard what happened, and I said I hadn’t. She proceeded to tell me that airplanes had crashed into the World Trade Center, and another one had hit the Pentagon. I guess I didn’t really comprehend what had … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Katie Jordan, terrorism

America will rise to the challenge

America will rise to the challenge

By Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — (September 11, 2001) Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? Is it America being a world superpower? Jealousy or Uncle Sam poking his sharp nose into every corner? America is like a giant filtration machine. American brand names like Coca-Cola, Levi’s and McDonald’s can be found from Libya to London. However, the world generally has mixed reactions towards America. America is … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism, youthjournalism.org

Student gives first-hand account of 9-11 attack

This is a piece by former Youth Journalism International student Courtney Pendleton, originally published in The Bristol (Conn.) Press on Sept. 14, 2001. At the time, Pendleton was a sophomore studying art at New York University. She is now a neurosurgeon in Philadelphia. By Courtney Pendleton Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Tuesday morning I was going to the donut shop at the World Trade Center when my dorm’s receptionist accosted me about some package I needed to pick up. Half … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2001, 9-11, Courtney Pendleton, terrorism