» Entries tagged with "Islam"

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

Grieving For Paris, Fearing An Aftermath

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – I am in bed, listening to music and getting ready to get some sleep when I come across the news. Paris is “under attack.” It doesn’t register, and the more I search for news, the more it didn’t make any sense. Everyone seems as confused as I am. There are terrorist attacks on Paris that vary between bombings, explosions and straight out shootings, depending on the report. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Lama Tawakkol, Paris, terrorism