» Entries tagged with "journalism"

Here are the winners of the 2017 YJI youth journalism contest

WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, USA – In a year when journalists have been hailed and harassed with equal fervor, Youth Journalism International can safely assure everyone there’s a great new generation of reporters ready to take the field. This year’s contest for teen journalists, now in its eighth year, attracted astonishing work from hundreds of students around the globe. Those earning awards represent nine countries on five continents as well as 20 U.S. states. The top winners include … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Teen journalists and teachers, it’s time to enter your work in YJI’s 2017 contest

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A.  –  January 23, 2017 – Connecticut-based non-profit organization Youth Journalism International is hosting its eighth annual Excellence in Journalism contest, the largest in the world for English language work published by amateur journalists aged 19 or younger. The event aims to further YJI’s mission of promoting a free youth press, fostering cross-cultural understanding and showcasing the voices of the next generation. In the contest, original content published in 2016 will be … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest

Prizewinning photojournalists tell how work can stand out in a sea of instant images

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAPEVINE, Texas, U.S.A. – It is a common saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is – regardless of what language you speak, the religion you take faith in, or the part of the world you reside. At the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference outside of Dallas, Texas, four Pulitzer Prize winners spoke about their international experiences with photojournalism and offered advice to fellow photographers. The four panelists – Smiley … Read entire article »

Filed under: Carol Guzy, Garret Reich, journalism, Mayborn, Mayborn Conference, photography, Pulitzer Prize\, Texas, YJI Students

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

New Book On Journalist Ethel Payne Highlights Critical Role Of The Black Press

By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, CT, USA – In writing a biography about pioneering black journalist Ethel Payne, author James McGrath Morris faced more than the usual hurdles for a biographer who’s made a career writing the history of journalism in America. “Can an old white guy write a book about a black woman in the ‘50s?” Morris recounted asking himself. Morris recently spoke about his new book, Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, the First Lady … Read entire article »

Filed under: Kiernan Majerus-Collins, news, newspapers

Journalism Contest Honors Youth Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists from across the globe took home prizes in the Youth Journalism International 2015 Excellence in Journalism contest. Annie Schugart, a standout editor for a suburban Kansas City high school paper who’s now a freshman at Harvard University, took top honors as this year’s Student Journalist of the Year. Competition was stiff in nearly every category, with more than 130 awards in about three dozen categories going to … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest, Youth Journalism International, youthjournalism.org