» Entries tagged with "terrorism"

Ohio State University student shaken after hiding from assailant during campus attack

By Noah Adelsberger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEWARK, Ohio, U.S.A. – An attack at The Ohio State University Monday morning injured 11 and rattled a campus community just returning from Thanksgiving break. Computer Science and Engineering student Megan Knox was inclass when someone warned the classroom about an emergency alert text they had received about an active shooter. Initial reports of an active shooter were incorrect, as the only shots occurred when a campus police officer responding to the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Noah Adelsberger, school violence, terrorism, YJI Students

Grief and horror

Grief and horror

Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — September 11, 2001. “Oh my God.” A day to remember. America’s fall from grace has stirred up much antipathy and the terrorist attack has touched a universal nerve. Before rooting out the real reasons and giving the finger to culprits, stop reeling, be calm and tell yourself that reality is more complicated. The U.S. motto “In God We Trust” is placed on all its currency. We can’t turn back time. We can only grieve and cherish the memories … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Don’t choose “macho contest” now

Don’t choose “macho contest” now

By Melissa Luna Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) I found out about the bombing at school and I was shocked and scared beyond belief. Today is the anniversary of my grandfather’s death, and the events that happened today did not help at all. I pray that everyone who lost a loved one is consoled and I also pray that our leaders make the right decisions! I hope that our president thinks of the people who would … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Melissa Luna

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

By Mike Nguyen Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) Well, as if my day could get any longer or eventful, this happens. But what did happen? The worst place to hear about a terrorist strike and New York City in shambles is the rumor mill at your local high school. But actually, we actually got it right instead of “UFO’s abducted New York!!” Well, at least it was lunch and I could enjoy some Mozzarella sticks, … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Mike Nguyen, terrorism

Thousands of reasons to pay attention

Thousands of reasons to pay attention

By Katie Jordan Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) I first heard about it at lunch. A friend of mine came up to me as I was about to sit at one of the tables. She asked if I’d heard what happened, and I said I hadn’t. She proceeded to tell me that airplanes had crashed into the World Trade Center, and another one had hit the Pentagon. I guess I didn’t really comprehend what had … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Katie Jordan, terrorism

America will rise to the challenge

America will rise to the challenge

By Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — (September 11, 2001) Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? Is it America being a world superpower? Jealousy or Uncle Sam poking his sharp nose into every corner? America is like a giant filtration machine. American brand names like Coca-Cola, Levi’s and McDonald’s can be found from Libya to London. However, the world generally has mixed reactions towards America. America is … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism, youthjournalism.org

After Orlando killings, gay teen is scared and sad, but ‘more on fire than ever before’

By O.D. Wright Reporter Youth Journalism International NASHVILLE, Tenn., U.S.A. – It was past midnight and I was talking on the phone with a young woman I’ve had a crush on for a while now. She was working night shift, and I’d stay up any hour to lose myself in conversation with her.  The whole time she talked about boys, her current heartbreaks and crushes.  It did hurt a little, but it was worth talking about if it … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay pride, human rights, LGBTQ, Nashville, Orlando, sexuality, Tennessee, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

Florida youth react to terrorist attack on Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International MIAMI, Florida, U.S.A. – Shocked at the mass shooting at Pulse, a popular Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday, two young workers in Miami were also upset how the media was covering the shooting situation. “At first I didn’t know how to react to the shooting, just because of the fact that the way the news were reporting the story was one-sided,” said Ashley Hernandez, 21. Early Sunday morning, a gunman opened fire … Read entire article »

Filed under: Florida, gay pride, Gay rights, Maria Luiza Lago, Orlando, terrorism, YJI Students

Two years later, Nigerian girls still missing

By Gideon Arinze Chijioke Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu State, Nigeria – It is two years today and the abducted Nigerian schoolgirls still remain missing. The kidnapping of more than 250 girls from a secondary school in Chibok triggered international outrage.  The hashtag #bringbackourgirls started a campaign for their safe return and according to The Guardian newspaper, it was tweeted over a million times. High profiles figures such as U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Pakistani education advocate Malala … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Gideon Arinze Chijioke, Nigeria, terrorism

Terrorists Poisoned Lahore’s Melting Pot

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Toddlers and children playing around the swings, people celebrating the joyous arrival of spring. It was Easter, a holiday widely celebrated in my city. This seems like the description of a nice evening at the park.  Would that it remained so. A suicide bomber attacked a local park in Lahore around 7 p.m. on Easter Sunday.  More than 60 people lost their lives and more than 300 families are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

By Amber Shakil Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Near where I live is Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, a beautiful place with birds, lakes and swings for children. It’s a popular public place for picnics, trips and family outings. I’ve been there several times.  People who live in other cities come to see it when they visit Lahore. Today, though, the park is filled with death and pain. A suicide bomber attacked the park, killing more than 60 people. Now ambulances are carrying … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Featured, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

Easter Bombing Claims Many Victims In Pakistan

Map showing location of Lahore, Pakistan.   By Irha Nadeem Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – More than 60 have lost their lives and more than 300 more were hurt in an Easter Sunday terror blast in Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, according to news reports here. While the Christian community was celebrating Easter in Pakistan on what seemed to be a normal weekend, the country was going through unrest.  On Sunday, there were protests in Islamabad, the capital city, resulting in a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Irha Nadeem, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism, YJI Students

Pakistan Must Protect Students From Terror

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – As I walked through the corridor of my university department today, a friend told me the shocking news that terrorists had attacked another university in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I didn’t believe her. I called my mother, who was already listening to the news and she confirmed it. This time it was Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in the northwestern part of Pakistan, not very far from the border … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, education, Pakistan, terrorism