» Entries tagged with "Texas"

Prizewinning photojournalists tell how work can stand out in a sea of instant images

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAPEVINE, Texas, U.S.A. – It is a common saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is – regardless of what language you speak, the religion you take faith in, or the part of the world you reside. At the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference outside of Dallas, Texas, four Pulitzer Prize winners spoke about their international experiences with photojournalism and offered advice to fellow photographers. The four panelists – Smiley … Read entire article »

Filed under: Carol Guzy, Garret Reich, journalism, Mayborn, Mayborn Conference, photography, Pulitzer Prize\, Texas, YJI Students

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

By Noah Kidron-Style Correspondent Youth Journalism International   AUSTIN, Texas, U.S.A. – Director Asif Kapadia’s powerful documentary Amy begins with home-video footage of a 14-year-old Amy Winehouse singing “Happy Birthday” to her childhood best friend Lauren Gilbert.  Sadly, we already know how the story ends. The cause of death was later revealed to be accidental alcohol poisoning, and for Winehouse’s millions of fans across the world it felt almost like losing a member of the family. As tributes flooded in, fans paid … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amy Winehouse, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, music, music review, Noah Kidron-Style

Supreme Court’s Marriage Equality Ruling Reflects National Mood On Gay Rights

By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A.  – A U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states caps off an historic time for the nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens. In a decision released Friday, justices voted 5-4 that gay marriage is legal nationwide. Media coverage generally reflected American society’s increasing support of LGBT issues, but remained sharply divided in some circles. Evidence of the gradual acceptance of transgender Americans’ into mainstream … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, US Supreme Court