» Entries tagged with "U.S.A."

Ohio State University student shaken after hiding from assailant during campus attack

By Noah Adelsberger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEWARK, Ohio, U.S.A. – An attack at The Ohio State University Monday morning injured 11 and rattled a campus community just returning from Thanksgiving break. Computer Science and Engineering student Megan Knox was inclass when someone warned the classroom about an emergency alert text they had received about an active shooter. Initial reports of an active shooter were incorrect, as the only shots occurred when a campus police officer responding to the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Noah Adelsberger, school violence, terrorism, YJI Students

After Orlando killings, gay teen is scared and sad, but ‘more on fire than ever before’

By O.D. Wright Reporter Youth Journalism International NASHVILLE, Tenn., U.S.A. – It was past midnight and I was talking on the phone with a young woman I’ve had a crush on for a while now. She was working night shift, and I’d stay up any hour to lose myself in conversation with her.  The whole time she talked about boys, her current heartbreaks and crushes.  It did hurt a little, but it was worth talking about if it … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay pride, human rights, LGBTQ, Nashville, Orlando, sexuality, Tennessee, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

By Noah Kidron-Style Correspondent Youth Journalism International   AUSTIN, Texas, U.S.A. – Director Asif Kapadia’s powerful documentary Amy begins with home-video footage of a 14-year-old Amy Winehouse singing “Happy Birthday” to her childhood best friend Lauren Gilbert.  Sadly, we already know how the story ends. The cause of death was later revealed to be accidental alcohol poisoning, and for Winehouse’s millions of fans across the world it felt almost like losing a member of the family. As tributes flooded in, fans paid … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amy Winehouse, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, music, music review, Noah Kidron-Style

Writers Kristof, WuDunn: Early Intervention Is The Best Way To Tackle Societal Woes

By Mugdha Gurram Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Empathy is one of the most important tools in combating social inequality, journalists Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn said. The husband and wife duo, who are co-authors of the 2014 book A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity and Half the Sky, published in 2009, spoke at a recent Harriet Beecher Stowe Center event. Both books provide insight into oppression, especially faced by women and girls, and ways people are making … Read entire article »

Filed under: Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mugdha Gurram, Nicholas Kristof, Sheryl WuDunn

America Lives Up To Promise Of Equality With Supreme Court Gay Marriage Ruling

By Mugdha Gurram Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Today is a day that has been long awaited in America, and one that will be long be remembered in history books as one where the United States truly lived up to its promise of freedom and equality. In a ruling announced today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in favor of reversing the judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, making same-sex … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, Mugdha Gurram

Charleston Massacre: Racist Hate Won’t End Until People Stop Labeling

By Jeevan Ravindran Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON, United Kingdom – The world is reeling after a white gunman opened fire in a black church on Wednesday night, killing nine innocent people at a Bible study. We all have one question on our minds – what is the world coming to? In 2015, the year when a transgender woman can appear on the cover of Vanity Fair and receive almost unanimous global support, you’d think people would have … Read entire article »

Filed under: Charleston, crime, Jeevan Ravindran, racism, terrorism

My Hometown: Glenwood, Iowa

My Hometown: Glenwood, Iowa

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International GLENWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – Surrounded by the rolling Loess Hills and famous for its homecomings is my hometown, Glenwood, Iowa. Few people are familiar with the state of Iowa itself and even fewer with the small town of Glenwood. When first entering Glenwood from the highway, the average traveler seeing a few fast-food restaurants and maybe a gas station might not drive much further. But in order to experience what the 5,000 people … Read entire article »

Filed under: Garrett Reich, Hometown, Iowa, My Hometown

‘Woman In Gold’ Celebrates Recovery Of Priceless Family Art Stolen By Nazis

By Rahul Krishnaswamy Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LEWISVILLE, North Carolina, U.S.A. – The Holocaust had an obvious impact on the lives of millions of Jews during the ‘40s, but it also influenced culture, and that effect is at the heart of the film Woman in Gold. Woman in Gold explores the struggle of a Holocaust survivor to regain a family treasure stolen by the Nazis during the Anschluss of Austria, or when Hitler annexed Austria in 1938, unifying it … Read entire article »

Filed under: art, Holocaust, Movie reviews, movies, Rahul Krishnaswamy, reviews