» Join

Join

If you are 22 years old or younger, we would be delighted to have you apply to be a student at Youth Journalism International!

Youth Journalism International is an educational nonprofit, or non-governmental organization dedicated to teaching young people. Its mission is to connect teen writers, artists and photographers with their peers around the globe, teach journalism, foster cross-cultural understanding and promote and defend a free youth press.

The commitment to YJI is one you make to yourself.

There is no cost to join. It is absolutely free. [See this page for Frequently Asked Questions.]

We have members all around the world, on six continents, many countries and most U.S. states.

Students get out of the program what they put into it. We have nothing to offer except our expertise, encouragement and access to places to publish. Students are not paid so don’t apply if you’re looking for a job.

Students who invest the most time and energy tend to have the best results, but everyone’s level of involvement is different. We might ask you to write something specific, but it is your choice whether to do it or not. Mostly, we ask students to think about their own schools and towns and tell us what they think the stories are. Then we can help them sort it out and teach them how to go about it.

This program is for self-motivated teens, and might not work for those who need constant attention and direction, which is something we just cannot give. There is no paid staff yet so all of the work is done by volunteers in whatever spare time they can offer.

So we really rely on students to do what real reporters do, which is to come up with their own ideas. Of course we will have suggestions, but they might not work or appeal to everyone.

We will offer help if someone needs it and is putting forth a lot of effort. Our involvement with any student largely depends on what they’re willing to do. Some are really busy and can only do a little bit. Others get very excited about this and do a great deal so we tend to have much more contact with them. Those who do the most usually learn a lot more, but everyone gets something out of it.

A student who has the desire and time to participate will be able to handle it.

We strongly recommend that interested young people discuss this with their parents or family and let us know what they think. We’re happy to answer questions, but hope that anybody who is interested will read everything they can about the organization first.

Our intent is to bring in the next new group of students in Summer 2015.

If you’re interested in joining Youth Journalism International, please fill in our application form (be sure to scroll down to the bottom, answering every question you can and then hit SUBMIT to send it to us): 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IWY3RaEgumDdDIB7178G5PnPHevSXR1c2rspmbyHpwk/viewform

Note: You may have to copy the link and paste it into your browser to reach it. We’re having a problem editing this page properly.

27 Responses to "Join"

1. Teddy Mukuka says:

awesome

2. Valeria says:

I am so excited! I hope you consider me for your program. This is a wonderful idea.

3. Song E Kim says:

greeting from Uzbekistan! I would love to join this program!

4. Joko says:

Good afternoon. I came across this organization via Internet searching, and it seems very promising. Thank you for the important work being conducted.

5. Christine Lawless says:

I am so excited! I hope you consider me for your program! I would love to be apart of it!

6. very much excited to join this community

7. i am so excited to be apart of the youth journalism international community

8. Sophia Steen says:

So happy to finally find a great youth journalism community!

9. yazan meqbil says:

I’m so excited to join. Keep up the great work !

10. Garret Reich says:

Journalism is my only choice career and I’m very excited to find a program that I could be involved that could get me involved as soon as possible! Thank you for offering the opportunity for teenagers like me.

11. Tabang says:

you guys are doing a great job keep hanging there..

12. Akash Mishra says:

The only thing that always comes to my mind is to see myself as a journalist in near future. Your programme seems to be much more interesting. And it hardly matters if you don’t pay because i really intend to learn and explore. But the best thing is that you don’t charge. Keep it up. And looking forward that you start your new 2015 summer group. Thank you

13. Caroline Christoffelsz says:

My daughter (17) would like to be apart of youe team. Pls advice as to how she could join.
    Thanks

1. Steve says:

She should fill out the form to join. The link is above.

14. D says:

I already submitted the form, but how will I know if I’m accepted? Thank you

15. Steve says:

At this point, we’re hoping to bring in the next class of YJI reporters during the summer of 2015.

1. D says:

Thank you. I have one more question though. Do you reject applicants?

16. Vanu says:

Thank you for proving such a great opportunity

17. Jimmie says:

Kudos YJI I think i,ve somewhere to learn now

18. kudra mohammed says:

i love this…

19. Carren says:

This is beneficial…great opportunity for people with ambition

20. Vaisakh MS says:

This is Great….hats off to the crew…

21. Paul Mensah Dalbabu says:

I have been looking for an opportunity like this and now I have found one, I won’t hesitate to join.Please I want to join your organization to championing its course. It’s really great. Thank you.

22. Pradeep Kumar Bhandari says:

Journalism is my only choice career and I’m very excited….

23. Justus Okuto says:

The best idea ever and agreat platform for the youths God bless

24. I have been working since 35 year’s as a Journalist. Now a day’s I am freelance Journalist. Best wishes for Youth Journalism.

25. dabhi dinesh says:

The best idea ever and agreat platform for the youths b.r.ambedekar yuva
    trast