Holidays Lunar New Year Photo Essay Photography

Celebrating the Year of the Golden Rooster

This is the Year of the Golden Rooster in the Chinese zodiac calendar. Effigies of roosters are omnipresent in Singapore's Chinatown for the Lunar New Year celebration. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan)

Thousands of people filled up the streets and alleyways of Singapore’s Chinatown on the eve of the Lunar New Year. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)

The color red is ubiquitous during the Lunar New Year period, as it’s seen as an auspicious color in Chinese culture. These lanterns are hung on strings along the streets of Singapore, illuminating the path below. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)

Workers selling sweets at the Lunar New Year Night Market at Chinatown, Singapore.(Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)

Giving sweets to loved ones is a Lunar New Year tradition. In multi-cultural Singapore, citizens of every ethnicity join in, giving gifts to their Chinese friends and money in red packets (Ang Pows) to children.  (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)

Colored flower lanterns and other decorations for the Lunar New Year brighten a roadway in Singapore. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)

*** 
You can celebrate the Lunar New Year, too! 
Send your red packets to HelpYJI.org
Your gifts will help young writers and artists worldwide. Thank you!