Notices

Deadline Extended To Friday, Feb. 14 For Worldwide Youth Journalism Contest

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Now in its fifth year, Youth Journalism International’s annual contest for teenage journalists around the world offers prizes in everything from newswriting to cartoons, including honors for Student Journalist of the Year and Journalism Educator of the Year.
The contest, the largest worldwide for student journalists, showcases the best journalism in English by young reporters, photographers and cartoonists around the world. Last year, it honored 87 talented students from 20 countries and 19 U.S. states.
“Every year, we are impressed with all the amazing work that young journalists are doing,” said Jackie Majerus, executive director at YJI. “These awards are a way to celebrate the best of it.”
Categories include multimedia reporting, opinion columns, reviews, photography and more.
“We are seeing more young people than ever producing top quality audio, video and other multimedia stories that deserve recognition and don’t fit traditional newsgathering categories,” said Steve Collins, president of the Connecticut-based nonprofit.
Winners in major categories receive crystal trophies and other prize winners receive custom-made certificates.
There are a number of categories for entries, including Student Journalist of the Year, the Courage in Journalism award, Journalism Educator of the Year, The Jacinta Marie Bunnell Award for Commentary and The Frank Keegan “Take No Prisoners” Award for News.
Entries, which must be in English and published in print or online between Jan. 1, 2013 and Dec. 31, 2013, are due no later than 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Friday, February 7.  Awards will be handed out in May.
The contest is open to any journalist aged 19 or under, anywhere in the world. Only work by non-professionals – those who are not paid – is allowed.
Details on how to enter the contest are available here.
In an earth-friendly bid to reduce paperwork and ease the administrative hassle, entries can be done entirely online by filling out a form on YJI’s website and submitting work via email. A complete list of winners for the past four years is available on the website as well.
Youth Journalism International is a recognized 501(c)(3) public educational charity by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. A non-governmental organization, YJI depends on donations from supporters to continue its important work training the next generation of journalists. To donate, see www.HelpYJI.org.
Its students’ work has been featured by The Huffington Post, National Geographic, PBS NewsHour Extra, The Tattoo teen newspaper, Radio Pacifica, Connecticut Public Radio. The Mash and other news organizations.
For more information, contact Jackie Majerus, YJI’s executive director, or Steve Collins, YJI’s president, at (860) 523-9632 or editor@youthjournalism.org.