Movies Reviews

Here’s to ‘La La Land,’ a dream of a movie

MARIETTA, Georgia, U.S.A. – La La Land is nominated for a record-tying 14 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
But what about La La Land has enchanted critics and moviegoers alike?
On a surface level, this movie is just fun to watch. The sets and costumes are vibrant, colorful, and eye-catching. The dance numbers are lively and gorgeous, and I haven’t stopped listening to the soundtrack for weeks.
La La Land is the perfect balance between old-fashioned and modern. The character Sebastian, (Ryan Gosling,) dreams of opening a traditional jazz club. Just like Sebastian, La La Land brings Old Hollywood to modern times, but instead of resenting contemporary influences, like Sebastian does, La La Land embraces the combination of old and new.
Its movie influences include Gene Kelly’s An American in Paris and Singin’ in the Rain. Despite the familiarity of classic movies, La La Land remains new and exciting.

This movie is also full of joy. I do not mean to say the movie is one-dimensional or only cheerful, because the characters do question their purpose, relationships, and identity in compelling
ways. But while watching La La Land, I felt the happiness the creators must have felt while making this magnificent movie.
La La Land’s deeper meaning, to me, is a call to hold on to your dreams.
Aspiring actress Mia (Emma Stone) and Sebastian learn that the only way to achieve fulfilling success is by not compromising their dreams or themselves for jobs that may be easier or more comfortable. Instead, their path to success is through performing as their truest, idealistic, dreaming selves.
While Mia and Sebastian’s romance is delightful, their romances with their dreams are more enthralling and memorable. Most of all, La La Land is a toast to the dreamer in all of us.
As Mia sings in her audition, “Here’s to the fools who dream.” It is a reminder to pursue the vocation that lights your heart on fire and a celebration of the beauty that can create, and also a
recognition of the sacrifices that are necessary for dreams to come true.
If you’re looking for an entertaining, lovely and inspiring movie, La La Land is the one for you. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Madeleine Deisen is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.
***
Want to know what’s even more enthralling and memorable
than a romantic blockbuster movie?
Making an impact on young lives through contributions
to Youth Journalism International.
Thank you for helping dreams come true.