Fix Notices Terrorism

YJI Students Tackle 9/11 Anniversary

Here are links to the stories included in this package:

9/11 Memorial: Mourners, Merchants, Singers, Skeptics Gather Near Ground Zero

NEW YORK, N.Y., U.S.A. – A sea of people flowed from block to block at the 9/11 Memorial site in Lower Manhattan on Sunday, all marking the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. By Emma Bally, Reporter

As Muslim, 9/11 ‘Beginning Of All My Worries’ 

GRANVILLE, Ohio – Last week in my college political science class my professor passed out a sheet of paper with a question: “What comes to mind when you hear the word Arab?”  By Jessica Elsayed, Senior Reporter

9/11 Survivor: ‘I Thought I Was Going To Die’

DELRAY BEACH, Florida – Thomas Panevino was in his seventh grade Spanish class in Manhattan the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, when he heard the booming sound of an approaching airplane. By Cresonia Hsieh, Reporter

Finally Finding Meaning In September 11

DELRAY BEACH, Florida – Last week, a lot of teachers tried to get me and my classmates to really think about and discuss the September 11 attacks, but they didn’t get very far. We were six years old then, and no one could remember much. By Cresonia Hsieh, Reporter

Mourning And Memory A Decade After 9/11

TORBAY, England – I was far too young to really remember it. The first memory I have of 9/11 is from Sept. 11, 2002, a year on, of the news reporting the one year anniversary and my parents explaining what happened on that horrible, painful day. By Adam Kelly, Junior Reporter

Muslims, Arabs Paid Unjust Price for 9/11

CAIRO, Egypt – Ten years ago, the whole world watched in horror – no, shock – as the twin towers of New York’s World Trade Center collapsed to the ground, taking everyone inside with them. By Lama Tawakkol, Reporter

A New Tower Rises At Ground Zero

Photograph by Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Senior Reporter

September 11 Changed Everything

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands – I still remember how I learned about 9/11. When my father came home, he immediately turned on the TV. On the screen, smoke was rising from two large buildings. My father phoned people, asking them if they’d heard. I knew it had to be serious. By Caroline Nelissen, Senior Reporter

YJI Students Followed 9/11 Developments

In the days and weeks after the September 11, 2001 attacks, Youth Journalism International students kept churning out dispatches from around the world.

Living In Saudi Arabia And Honoring Sept. 11

DHAHRAN, Saudi Arabia – Though I was only in the second grade on Sept. 11, 2001, the catastrophes of that day remain the most significant events so far in my life. By Evan Pogue, Junior Reporter

Where Is Osama Bin Laden Now?

Cartoon by Arooj Khalid, Junior Reporter

Not America’s Tragedy, But A World Tragedy

YEREVAN, Armenia – It was a sunny day and people were coming back from their workplaces. It was morning in New York, but already evening in Yerevan. By Narine Daneghyan, Reporter

Finding Solace In Springsteen After 9/11

Youth Journalism International writers trying to come to grips with the terror attacks a decade ago found some solace in an album released in 2002 by rocker Bruce Springsteen.

Still ‘Sad And Confused’ A Decade Later

FORT WORTH, Texas – Ten years ago, I was an 8-year-old fourth grader in a small elementary school in Warwick, Rhode Island. In small towns back east, everyone knows everyone and nothing exciting usually happens. By Mariah Pulver, Reporter

Coming Soon: YJI Looks Back On 9/11

Ten years ago, another generation of Youth Journalism International students got a note from an editor shortly after terrorists steered a second plane into the World Trade Center, begging them to write about their thoughts and reactions. A handful responded.