Photo Essay Photography Top Travel

Exploring a limestone cave in Myanmar

There are Buddha statues and pagodas that were donated in recent times. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)

Aungpan, MYANMAR  – The images and video in this photo essay are by Youth Journalism International student Yunn Chaw Nadi. She recently explored Myin Ma Hti Cave on the Kalaw-Loikaw Highway, about two miles away from Aungpan town in Myanmar.

The narrow entrance path of the cave sets the stage for the fascinating journey that awaits. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
A natural formation titled Rock Frog. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
A little bridge in the cave which makes the cave’s path easier for visitors. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)

Stalactites line the 1,000-foot long cave. They produce the coolness throughout the cave. Some natural formations on the cave walls are named for animals or objects because the formations bear an uncanny resemblance to them. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)

Angel’s Grinding Stone is believed to be used by the angels to grind tree bark and make Thanaka to wear on the face. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
Celestial Pond collects water seeping from the stalactites and is said to bring outer beauty and inner cleansing. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
Listen to a musical part of the cave. Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI
A formation that resembles an elephant, hence its name, Rock Elephant. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
A natural formation is named The Family of Elephants. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
This natural formation similar to a dragon’s head is titled Celestial Dragon. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
Unlike typical limestone caves in Myanmar, which continue underground indefinitely, this cave connects to another subterranean passage that exits from a nearby hill. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
Ohn Na Lone Myway Shin Stupa, which is suggested by legends to be one of the 84,000 pagodas King Asoka built 2,300 years ago – and was then repaired by Burmese kings Anawrahta and Alaungsithu. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
Many of the Buddha statues are from the Bagan Era with the 28 statues built by King Anawrahta. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
Separate grinding stones and Thanaka bark are provided in the cave for the visitors to freely apply on their faces and bodies. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)
A line of souvenir shops are outside the cave’s exit, showcasing local products from clothing to food. (Yunn Chaw Nadi/YJI)

Yunn Chaw Nadi is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.