News Photo Essay Top

Georgian people protest their government’s pro-Russia actions

A protester outside the Georgian parliament building in Tbilisi. (Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto/YJI)

Youth Journalism International Reporter Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto is covering the demonstrations in Tbilisi, Georgia, where he lives.

He made these photos on Wednesday night and Thursday morning behind the national parliament building, where he estimated that about 100,000 people had come to protest pro-Russian moves by the Georgian government.

Protesters put up a barricade at the entrance gate of the parliament building. (Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto/YJI)

Angry citizens are protesting against the re-introduction of the March 2023 “Foreign Agents Bill” by the Georgian ruling party “Georgian Dream.”

After violent protests last year, the government canceled the proposed law, but it was reintroduced with the same intent, but under a new name in April.

Watch here for an upcoming story and more photos.

A protester covers himself to protect against a water canon in order to approach the entrance to the parliament building. (Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto/YJI)
Protesters wear masks to protect against pepper spray. (Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto/YJI)
Protesters put fire behind the parliament building against the riot police who used pepper spray and tear gas. (Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto/YJI)
A protester holds a Georgian and a European Union flag. (Copyright Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto. Used with permission.)
Protesters try to block the spray of water canons at the parliament building. (Copyright Nicolo Vincenzo Malvestuto. Used with permission.)