Movies Reviews The Tattoo

Heartstrings and spider webs

PRESTON, England — To be honest I hadn’t thought about it, but it must be quite tiring being a superhero.

Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire), star of Spiderman 2, is no exception. He has some serious time management issues: How do you deliver pizzas to pay the rent, do your homework and save people?

The answer is you can’t — and something has to give.

The thing is that his problems don’t end after the spider suit goes in the bin.

The love of his life, Mary-Jane (Kirsten Dunst) is still getting married and the new bad guy in town, Dr. Octopus (Alfred Molina), is after him.

Dr. Octopus is the result of a science experiment gone wrong. Dr. Otto Octavious is a well-respected scientist trying to create a new power source. Unsurprisingly it doesn’t work and instead of a new power source, he has four new mechanical arms that control his every move.

Now nothing’s going to stop him finishing his experiment, not even the threat of destroying the city.

Thankfully old habits die hard and Peter finds it hard to ignore the hero inside of him, especially when Dr. Octopus captures Mary-Jane.

The acting is superb, with every one stepping back into their roles like they’d never been away.

And I’m happy to say that Kirsten Dunst has this time been given a role to fit her caliber as an actor. No longer is she just the eye-candy but has become an important part of the film.

What I love about Spiderman 2 is that it can both pull your heartstrings and quicken your heart rate.

This is made possible with two sides to the one character.

One minute we’re treated to the heartbreaking scene of Peter selflessly denying his love for Mary Jane and the next minute his suit is on and it’s an all-action Spiderman.

Leave any baggage at the door.

Chloe Stead is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.