Reviews Television

High hopes for final season of funny, diverse ‘Brooklyn Nine Nine’

Rockville, Maryland, U.S.A. – Everyone loves a good cop story. From Die Hard to Training Day, it’s likely most people think of action-packed fight scenes and suspenseful music when they hear the term. 

That’s what makes the television show “Brooklyn Nine-Nine so unique. 

It follows the adventures of Jake Peralta, a skilled but childish detective at the 99th precinct of the New York Police Department. His boyish antics add lightheartedness to the difficulties of being a police officer and set the show apart from most of its cop story predecessors. 

The wittiness of the show isn’t just maintained by Peralta, though. The careful balance in the other characters that make up the rest of the 99th precinct is what makes “Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s” humor so effective. 

The tough, headstrong nature of Detective Rosa Diaz is contrasted by the wishy-washy people pleaser Detective Charles Boyle. The hard-working, detail-oriented Detective Amy Santiago balances out the carefree and self-confident nature of Gina Linetti, a civilian administrator for the precinct. 

Beyond just being amusing to watch, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” has become my all-time favorite show because of its fantastic casting. For example, Jake Peralta is portrayed by comedian Andy Samberg, whose natural delivery of the humorous character quickly blurs the line between Peralta and Samberg. 

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s” cast is also effective because it’s diverse. Its inclusive representation of the African-American and Latina population through cast members like Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Stephanie Beatriz and Andre Braugher help make the show unique. 

The characters of the show don’t shy away from the diversity of the cast; instead, the storyline embraces this cultural diversity and actively incorporates it in a way that allows viewers to relate to the characters.

Throughout the show, Captain Raymond Holt, the commanding officer of the 99th Precinct, mentions the obstacles he has to overcome as an openly gay and Black police officer, while Detective Rosa Diaz struggles as she discovers and embraces her bi-sexuality throughout Season 5. 

Unfortunately, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” will air its eighth and final season starting August 12, according to the entertainment magazine Variety

While I am heartbroken that the show is coming to an end, I look forward to this next season and expect it to be unique. Considering the show’s protagonists are police officers, I’m curious how the show will tackle the recent rise in national attention to police brutality.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” addressed racial profiling in Season 4, when Sergeant Terry Jeffords narrowly escapes being arrested by a fellow cop who stops to search him because he’s Black. Given the show’s track record with racial diversity, I hope to see it effectively address police brutality and racism in its upcoming season. 

While I hate to see “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” end, I hope it makes a graceful exit and that the final season lives up to they show’s previous excellence. 

Hannah Rah is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.