Perspective

It’s Hard To Focus On Studying When Terrorists Threaten Your School

Punjab University old campus (Provided)
LAHORE, Pakistan – A year ago, we lived through the saddest month for Pakistan and maybe the whole of humanity. At Army Public School in Peshawar, Pakistan on Dec. 16, 2014, terrorists killed 151 people, including 127 students and 24 faculty members.
Now, exactly a year later, media reports are saying that the terrorist group Daesh, also known as ISIS or ISIL, has made threats in letters and phone calls to Punjab University.  The threats are that they will take students hostage.
A story in the December 8 edition of Dawn, a Pakistani English language newspaper reported that counter-terrorism police arrested Assistant
Professor Ghalib Ata of the Institute of Administrative Sciences department of Punjab University on the suspicion of links to terrorists.
Along with other students here, I am shocked by the news.
If teachers are involved – or such men can be appointed as teachers – then it means terrorists can do anything.
It makes me wonder whether, in the Army Public School murders in Peshawar, a teacher or any faculty member was involved with the terrorists.
No one can bear another attack like that one.
As I listen to news about the threats against my school, I can’t concentrate on my studies. All I can think about is, what if they attack? What will happen?
Will I will save someone’s life or will run for my life? What if it happens to another department?
I don’t know! All I can think is about are questions like this.
After last year’s terrorist attack on the school in Peshawar, I saw pictured of the martyred students and thought that if I was in their place, I would help others and save my friends’ lives.
I feel so helpless whenever i think about these questions. Our government is doing everything to secure university. Every gate of Punjab University and every department is on high alert.
I can only pray that these terrorists will never ever succeed in any country. Please pray for every country and pray that terrorists fail in their every attempt.
Amber Shakil is a Junior Reporter for Youth Journalism International.
***
Your tax-deductible contribution can help support students
served by this nonprofit:

2 Comments

• I am sending you all my love, Amber. There are innumerable situations of this in the world, that will forever remain unwritten and unknown. I look up to you, as a younger journalist; writing on this was extremely brave.
    If there is anything I can do to support you, please tell me!
    <3, GG