News The Tattoo

Living for today, flying high tomorrow

Introductions: Aaron Gabriel, Bailey’s Vale, St. Mary, Jamaica

St. Mary, JAMAICA — Seventeen-year-old Aaron Gabriel of the district of Bailey’s Vale in the parish of St. Mary, Jamaica, tries to hide his British accent.

Born in London, Gabriel moved to Jamaica about three years ago.

Though he was raised in Brixton, South London and received his secondary education from The Royal Docks Community School, Gabriel has an accent closer to the American accent than the well known British accent usually heard by British people on television.

He said he tries often to hide his British accent because he wants to fit in the Jamaican society.

Gabriel is the fourth child of eight children – and one of only two boys – born to a Muslim family.

After moving to Jamaica, he attended the Port Maria High school from grade nine up to grade 11. While at Port Maria High, Gabriel said he sat the Caribbean Secondary Examination Council exams and did very well.

The past year he attended St. May High school, studying chemistry, geography, communication studies and biology at the Caribbean Advance Proficiency Examination (CAPE) level, taking the unit one exams in May.

Five feet, seven inches tall, Aaron said he enjoys working out at the gym and eating.

His favorite subject is geography, he said, and with this in mind, he has an ambition to become a pilot.

Gabriel’s philosophy is simple.

“I live for today, and don’t worry about tomorrow,” he said. “I take things one step at a time.”

Then, when he was asked what usually gets him angry, Aaron replied with a smile, “When I don’t get my own way.”

Norman Israel is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.