Perspective

Mourning Period For Mandela Fittingly Ends With Reconciliation Day In South Africa

CAPE TOWN, South Africa – The 10-day period of South Africa mourning the passing – and celebrating the life – of  Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela culminated with his burial in his home village, Qunu, yesterday.
Smaller than the large memorial held December 10 at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg, the funeral was more intimate, although large numbers of dignitaries still
attended.
The rolling hills of the Eastern Cape, the same hills were Mandela herded cattle as a little boy, greeted mourners.
Although much of the ceremony for the former president was broadcast nationally and internationally, the final moments, with the returning of his remains to the
soil of Qunu, were not broadcast. This was upon the family’s request.
Today is Reconciliation Day in South Africa, a public holiday instated in 1994 by Mandela’s government to foster reconciliation among the many South African
groups.

It is fitting that the country exits the official mourning period with this day. The past 10 days have truly been a time of reflecting upon our own journey in post-apartheid South Africa, and what still needs to be done to reconcile our past.

Mariechen Puchert is an Associate Editor at Youth Journalism. The video is by YJI’s Lara Puchert.