Fix Perspective

Remembering The Courage Of Nirbhaya, Victim Of Notorious Delhi Gang Rape

By Harsha Mishra
Senior Reporter
DELHI, India – Thousands
of hearts are aching today, remembering that awful night a year ago, when a
young medical student was brutally raped on a private bus in Delhi, tossed out
onto the road and left to die.
This day marked a
bloodstained spot in Indian history that shattered the belief of millions of
Indians who considered Delhi one of the safest cities for women in India. The
nation’s capital, since that attack, Delhi also became known as National
Capital of Rape.
“The Girl,” who
was later given the honorary name Nirbhaya, which means a fearless braveheart,
was a physiotherapy intern who was in Delhi to start her internship in the
coming few days when a gang of men attacked her.
That day, she was
out to watch a movie with a friend. On their way home, the two were brutally
attacked on board a bus, becoming victims of a horrible crime.
Narrating her
story today, I have tears in my eyes, thinking about the atrocities the girl
faced, but this story should be told to all, for the courage she later showed.
On Dec. 16, 2012,  Nirbhaya left her home in the evening telling
her parents she would be back in about two to three hours, as she was out to
watch a movie with her friends. She went to the Saket neighborhood of Delhi,
where one of the famous malls, Select City Walk, is located.
About 8 p.m., she
was ready to leave for home. Her friend, well aware of the risks involved if a
girl is travelling so late at night in India, asked to drop her home. Covering
half the distance by an auto, they then took a bus in haste so that Nirbhaya
could be home soon, safe and sound.
Inside the bus with
them were six other men, including the driver. One of them was a minor.
Three of the six started
beating Nirbhaya’s friend. Blows from an iron rod caused him to lose consciousness.
Then the six men,
including the teenage juvenile, each raped the girl. One of the attackers exchanged
seats with the driver, who was his brother, so that he could be part of the
crime, too.
genitals were damaged by the iron rod. Her hairs were later found scattered in
the bus. The men later confessed that they tried to sodomize their victim as
well, and the minor was the one planning and eagerly executing the crime.
They then threw
the almost-naked bodies of both the girl and her friend from the moving bus and
then tried to crush them under the tires. They didn’t succeed because Nirbhaya’s
friend, by then semi-conscious, managed to pull the girl from out of their way.
At about 11 p.m.,
a passerby found the victims and called police, bringing the attack to light.
But the facts
which later followed were even more shocking. A confession by one of the men
stated that they tried to subdue the girl, who was continuously fighting, through
making her lose her consciousness by pulling out her intestines using their
bare hands.
Bite marks were
found all over her body. For 13 days, she fought for her life, and finally left
this world on Dec. 29, 2012.
Though she was in
pain, she never gave up the urge or hope to live. She was a fighter.
Her often-quoted first
statement, when she first met her parents after regaining consciousness, was, “Those
bastards should be burnt alive.”
She wanted to
live. She kept telling her mother, “main jeena chahti hu,” which means, “I want
to live.”
These were a few
words that still ring in our ears, in the ears of her parents, and these are
the words which gave way to the fire that engulfed Delhi in the days that followed
the attack.
This is not an end
to Nirbhaya’s story. The sad part is, after one year, the guilty are alive.
Though the world
knows what happened that night, the Indian government has been unable to execute
the six of them.
And an entire year
has passed.
cannot do anything else, but to use the power of pen that I have, so that I can
make everyone know the chilling night one year ago, so that people can be more
aware of such crimes. Then the next time they see any girl being tortured or
harassed, they can react, and prevent from India or the world having another
want every girl and every man to know about and be inspired by the courage that
girl showed and the spirit she had towards life. Let’s all of us give a salute
to the braveheart,  a pledge that we’ll
stop this world from having more Nirbhayas.
real name was Jyoti, meaning light. She died, enlightening the world.

1 Comment

  • Heartbreaking, and beautifully written. I remember when the news broke and it broke my heart.

    Earlier this year, South Africa had a similar attack on a 17 year old girl, Anene Booysen. She too was disemboweled. Her first words when she woke was to identify the perpetrators. She died soon afterwards.

    The difference is that one of her perpetrators was found guilty and sentenced to life, but the shocking part was that their entire town was angered by the sentence, believing in the man's innocence.

    I truly hope that the guilty parties in Nirbhaya's case will be sentenced, and soon. My thoughts are with your country.