Appreciation Music

Sinéad O’Connor, a brave voice for the vulnerable

Sinéad O’Connor's book 'Rememberings' at center, flanked by two of her album covers. 'Faith and Courage' is at left and 'Universal Mother' is at right.

LONDON – The iconic and audacious Irish singer, Sinéad O’Connor has died at age 56, leaving behind a legacy that will forever be remembered. 

O’Connor’s rise to global fame came with the release of her 1990 single, ‘’Nothing Compares 2 U,’’ originally written by Prince and transformed into a heart-wrenching ballad by O’Connor, solidifying her position in music history.

O’Connor’s desire for individuality and autonomy shines through in her song “No Man’s Woman’’ from her spiritual album Faith and Courage as listeners are given a feminist message of avoiding ‘’mantrolling’’ behaviour. 

Having endured confinement as a teenager in Dublin’s An Grianan Training Centre – a place notorious for incarcerating young girls deemed “promiscuous’ – empowerment was a key focus in O’Connor’s life. 

Another crucial quest in O’Connor’s life was spiritual liberation, evident in her 2007 album ‘Theology, based on Christian scriptures. Though she formerly followed the Jamaican Rastafari faith, she converted to Islam in 2018, changing her legal name to Shuhada’ Sadaqat and embracing her Islamic faith until her death. 

But O’Connor’s was a courageous voice that spoke out against the abuse of faith. She fearlessly protested against child sexual abuse within the Catholic Church by tearing up a picture of Pope John Paul II and proclaiming, “Fight the real enemy” while performing Bob Marley’s “War” on Saturday Night Live.

This courageous act earned her a lifetime ban from broadcaster NBC and sparked protests against her in the U.S., with copies of her records being destroyed in Times Square.

Despite the controversy surrounding her life, O’Connor never allowed herself to be silenced. From HIV awareness, to the Black Lives Matter movement to LGBT+ rights, O’Connor heard the voices of marginalized groups who acted as muses for her songs. 

“Mandinka” and “Black Boys On Mopeds” address pressing social issues, shedding light on female genital mutilation and police brutality against Black men.

O’Connor was the voice for the vulnerable and an outcry against the wicked. Though often controversial, her protests were always underlined by tenderness and truth. 

O’Connor’s voice is filled with raw passion and her lyrics are an emotional outcry of pain and loss. 

Her son Shane’s suicide last year at age 17 meant O’Connor knew grief all too well. But O’Connor transmuted her grief into love, like in her song “Three Babies” expressing her personal sorrow after experiencing several miscarriages.

O’Connor was a self-proclaimed ‘protest singer’ with an unwavering voice demanding to be heard. She fearlessly used her music and actions to stand up for what she believed in. 

For this, her passion, courage, and indomitable spirit will continue to inspire generations to come.

Anjola Fashawe is a Senior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.