Reporter's Notebook Top

Botswana welcomes Forbes’ Under 30 Pan-Africa event

Work by local artists on display at the Forbes event. (Joshua Mulema/YJI)

Gaborone, BOTSWANA – People interested in the recent Forbes Under 30 Pan-African event – but didn’t have the money for the entire experience – could get a taste for free at the Welcome Celebration held at the Main Mall in the heart of Gaborone.

I was one of those who might have enjoyed the entire event, but I still had a splendid experience at the Welcome Celebration in my town.

The arts, the crafts and stalls entertained the people until the event began.

The Main Mall in Gaborone is decorated for the Forbes event. (Joshua Mulema/YJI)
The stage area before the event began. (Joshua Mulema/YJI)

There was free food and drinkers aged 18 and above could enjoy free cups of St. Louis beer, a local brand.

Photo booths gave people a chance to take a selfie with paintings by our local painters and one booth displayed two adjacent screens with information for investors about Botswana as a nation.

Apart from the invited guests for the event from Africa and the country, special guests included Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua of Kenya who was in Botswana at the time and of course, the Kenyan Ambassador Botswana H.E. Mohamed M. Shidye. 

A painting by a local artist on display. (Joshua Mulema/YJI)

And of course President Mokgweetsi Eric Keabetswe Masisi and Botswana’s First Lady Neo Jane Masisi. Botswana’s Vice President, Slumber Tsogwane, was also there.

Local artist Dr. Vom opened the evening with an interactive performance, even coming into the crowd and dancing with the people.

Dato Seiko performs at the Forbes event. (Joshua Mulema/YJI)

Other local artistes who performed were Amantle Brown, Team Distant, ATI, and from South Africa: Ubuntu, Dato Seiko, Jena Dominque, Stabito and Grammy winner Nomcebo Zikode  and the Kenyan music group Sauti Sol.

Although this crowd never got to hear from the Forbes delegates and guests, it was a still pleasure to have time to  socialize and connect. 

Joshua Mulema is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.