Appreciation Perspective

Excelsior! A Stan Lee tribute

Stan Lee's official Twitter photo.

Rotherham, England, U.K. – From comic booksto movies and TV shows, Marvel is one of the world’s most recognized brands. Itwould be hard to find someone who wasn’t familiar with the likes of Spider-Manor The Avengers. These characters have entertained readers and viewers fordecades and will continue to do so for many more.

But none of this would have happened without Stan Lee.

Known to many as the old man who appears in all the Marvel movies, Stan Lee was one of the key figures responsible in the creation of many popular super heroes, including Spider-Man, the company’s most known hero Spider-Man.

It was Lee’s creations that made Marvel the juggernaut that it is today.

His work has had an impact on many people’s lives, including my own. From early childhood, I have been a huge fan of Marvel and its characters.

The first film I ever saw in a movie theatre was Spider-Man 3 and I remember being blown away. (I was six – I was allowed to like bad films.) Since then I’ve rarely missed a Marvel movie.

My love for the films went on to a love for the comics and TV shows. I have gone back and read some classic Marvel titles, and my friends are sick of me always talking about how good “Daredevil” is on Netflix.

Marvel is and will always be a major part of my life, just like it is for many others, and that wouldn’t be possible without Stan Lee.

Sadly, Stan Lee died on Monday, at the age of 95.

However, there is a saying in the world of comics that heroes are never actually dead.

That is the case for Stan Lee. Whilst he may no longer be with us, his creations live on and will continue to be a major part of people’s lives.

In that sense, Stan Lee will always be with us.

Rest in peace, Stan Lee.

Excelsior!

Thomas Barrett is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.