Reporter's Notebook

Helping Rebuild Nepal With Wire And Tin

Tej Bahadur Gharti Chettri, who lives in Gijang, described the problems facing the village after the earthquake and how people are building new homes. (Anju Chaudhary/YJI)
GIJYANG, Parbat, Nepal – As a volunteer with Jevaia, a social organization that provides dental care in rural Nepal, I went to help provide earthquake relief.

In Gijyang, a village in Parbat district, we provided tin, wire and nails to build houses.

The massive April 25 earthquake registered a 7.8 on the Richter scale. Then, a second big earthquake hit April 29, causing more damage.
After the earthquakes, so many houses, hotels, other buildings and other things were broken. Many people lost their homes, or their homes were no longer safe.

They needed help.

Many villagers are creating small houses to live in because their old houses were damaged. We went to visit five houses and gave them each tin for a new roof. (Anju Chaudhary/YJI)

We went to the village of Gijyang in Parbat district to distribute to the materials. First we went to Tulia School, the community school.
Before the earthquake, this school had 12 classrooms, but now only four classrooms that are safe.
Because of the damage, the school has been closed. Nepalese Army soldiers are also helping to restore the school.
The community is facing many problems, but they want furniture, computers, sporting equipment and other things for the school to be a priority.
Anju Chaudhary is a Junior Reporter for Youth Journalism International.

Tin and wire are among the materials Jevaia provided to villagers who are trying to rebuild after the earthquake. Other international organizations gave wood, furniture and provided help with construction. (Anju Chaudhary/YJI)

***
Your tax-deductible contribution can help support 
Anju Chaudhary and other students at this nonprofit at