Opinion Top

Monarchy perpetuates inequality and poverty

A modified British flag commemorates the coronation of King Charles III. (Anjola Fashawe/YJI)

LONDON – Today, many British citizens are celebrating the coronation of King Charles III, but I will not be participating.

The coronation of the new monarch will be the first in almost 70 years since Queen Elizabeth II, who died last year. 

The official website for the royal family says, ‘Tthe Coronation will reflect the monarch’s role today and look towards the future, while being rooted in long standing traditions and pageantry.’’ 

But by being rooted in ‘traditions,’ the royal family seem to ignore the history of imperialism that the monarchy was founded on and has continued to thrive off. 

The celebrations and ceremony surrounding this event highlight a time when Britain ruled over a vast empire, exploiting and oppressing the people in its colonies.

Again, the ‘pageantry’ aspect seems to be the royal family justifying the monarchy parading around in jewellery stolen from the Commonwealth countries. 

Currently in the UK, where many are facing a cost of living crisis and workers are regularly striking for fair pay and conditions, the excessive spending on a coronation ceremony seems ridiculous. 

The coronation is expected to cost up to £100 million, much of which will be taxpayers’ money. 

Instead of spending millions on a lavish, short-term occasion, this money could be used to address the urgent needs of Britons, such as affordable housing, healthcare and education.

The monarchy itself is a symbol of inequality and privilege. The idea that someone is born into a position of power and prestige simply because of their bloodline goes against the British value of democracy. 

The fact that the monarch has the power to appoint a Prime Minister and dissolve Parliament also raises questions about the extent of their influence over the government.

Republic, an anti-monarchy group known for coining the slogan “Not my King” protested at the coronation, and its leader was arrested. 

The group is voicing the views that some British citizens hold surrounding the monarchy. As things get worse in the UK, it calls to question whether there is any point to having a monarchy at all. 

Arguably, the monarchy should simply be abolished if it continues to perpetuate inequality and poverty in the UK. 

Only by addressing the systemic issues that the institution upholds can the UK truly look towards the future. 

Anjola Fashawe is a Reporter with Youth Journalism International.