My Hometown Top Travel

Naturally, she’s at home in Sharon

Leach Pond, Sharon, Mass. (Shiara Naveen/YJI)

Sharon, Massachusetts, U.S.A. – When I think of my home, I think of Sharon. In this small, yet lively community, you can never get bored.  While Sharon is microscopic compared to other towns in Massachusetts, there’s so much you can do.

To me, it’s the only place where I will always feel at home.

Rock Garden built by a botanist in 1912. (Shiara Naveen/YJI)

In Sharon, there are a lot of diverse people coming from different cultures. We have many ethnic restaurants like Coriander Bistro, an Indian restaurant with flavorful food. Or Simcha, an Israeli restaurant with amazing food and people. 

The most famous attraction is Borderland State Park, which is located between Sharon and another town, Easton. This park is an American history and nature preserve that features trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and more.

Occasionally, my family and I will take hikes here with our dog as the park is very pet friendly. It’s also where one of my favorite movies, Knives Out, took place.

The Historic Mansion in Borderland State Park, built in 1910. (Shiara Naveen/YJI)

If there was one place I could stay forever, it would be our gorgeous Lake Massapoag, located right behind my high school. Every time I walk to my car, I always make sure to walk the trail by the lake to see if I can spot the ducks. 

But recently, low water levels in Lake Massapoag were upsetting residents, as it was hard to swim and do other things in the lake.

Each year the lake drops more and more, partly due to getting rid of invasive plants, something that needs to be done to prevent the lake from becoming choked with weeds.

The hot summers aren’t helping. Much of the spring water coming from Lake Massapoag comes from Sharon’s Atlantic White Cedar Creek, which provides about 60% of Sharon’s drinking water.

Now that this creek and others are drying up, it’s harder to get access to fresh, clean water for the town without killing aquatic wildlife.

Sunset over Lake Massapoag. (Shiara Naveen/YJI)

Luckily, the town board came up with some possible solutions that have been put into play, but this problem is much larger than it seems. It’s also affecting neighboring towns. An ongoing issue like this should be put into the spotlight.

I’ve lived here for a long time and living here has made me open my eyes to the world around me. I’ve made friends with people who have helped me to navigate difficult parts of my life and I can’t say I would be happier anywhere else but right here. 

Shiara Naveen is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.