Fix News

Scottish Villagers Hold Robust Local Celebration Of The Royal Wedding

Robert Guthrie / Youth Journalism International

Scottish villagers hold a local celebration of the royal wedding

By Robert Guthrie
Reporter
Youth Journalism International
DUMFRIES, Scotland – The wedding bells had rung at Westminster Abbey, but celebrations of Prince William and Catherine Middleton’s marriage continued well into the evening for Kirkmahoe area residents of all ages.
Like British people around London in Hyde Park and Trafalgar Square, the villagers here celebrated the royal wedding with a special street party organized by Kirkmahoe Community Council.
Just like at the Westminster Abbey service, there was a diverse range of music – from modern pop music played on the village green to a traditional Celidh with Scottish country dances.
Participants enjoyed home made baking, a hog roast of Scottish pork and other refreshments and some took part in a raffle later in the evening.
The community also welcomed visitors from Regensburg in Bavaria. The Ehlers family – Martin, Anna-Maria, Dieter and Bianka – had come to visit friends in the village.
They wanted to join the royal celebrations as well as sample the local culture.
The Ehlers had never been to Scotland before, and noticed how relaxing Dumfriesshire is. They were amazed that well over 100 people in this small rural community attended the party, and they were impressed by the festivities and food. The family also noted the differences between rural Scotland with its grazing cows and sheep and their busy Bavarian town.
Throughout the evening, games for children were available, including races, pass the parcel, football, and “balloon rugby.”
Balloons with sweets tied on the ends went down very well with the children, but some inevitably made their way to space!
Pupils from a local primary school also commemorated the occasion with a replica tiered cake created from cardboard, paper, paints and other materials. Decorated with glitter, and using modelling clay for newlyweds William and Kate, it helped mark a right royal occasion.

The Kirkmahoe celebration