Movies Reviews

Spider-Man’s latest weaves an animated web of adventure

Image from Sony's official film trailer.

Bradenton, Florida, U.S.A. – Almost five years later, the highly anticipated Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse is finally here, continuing off the 2018 movie, Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse.

Covid and other complications forced multiple delays in the film’s release date, but even with the long wait, this is probably the greatest movie of the decade.

With its detailed unique animation, the well-done voice acting and its chilling soundtrack, this movie was hard to look away from. I never wanted the fun to end.

Revolutionizing the animation industry, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse delivers detailed movements and comic-like character expressions, almost like you’re watching a live comic book on the big screen. It’s a contrast from the Pixar style, common across animated films.

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse reinvented the possibilities of animation by introducing a new style inspired by comics, which enhances the experience for viewers who are fans of Spider-Man and animation.

Many animated movies have taken risks by changing their animation style such as The Bad Guys and Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, both from 2022 and The Mitchells vs the Machines, from 2021.

Across the Spider-Verse extends the story of Miles Morales (Shameik Moore,) a half-Puerto Rican and half-African American 15-year-old, getting the hang of being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in Brooklyn.

While balancing his super secret from his parents and his stressful life as a high school student, he reconnects with Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld,) and finds many people who are, like him, Spider-People.

Miles learns the truth about his Spider abilities and is relentless in protecting the ones he loves.

The animation in Across the Spider-Verse topped the original, building off of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and making it stand out. The vibrant colors highlight the emotion being conveyed in the scenes.

While the origins of Spider-Man started as a comic book, this movie goes back to its roots with speech bubbles. Even when action is going on – such as the scene where Miles is running away from the leader of the Spider society, Miguel O’Hara (Oscar Isaac) – there are curved lines that precede a character’s motion.

The film successfully continues Miles’ story, using elements that the audience knows. He is working hard to be a son, a good friend and Spider-Man. He has to struggle alone for most parts of the movie.

Miles is afraid to tell his family his secret because he is scared of how they will react. He knows that they love him and want what is best for him, but he is also afraid that they will be disappointed in him if they find out that he has been keeping a secret from them.

Miles is a hero, but he is also just a teenager. He has his moments when things are not going well, and he makes mistakes just like everyone else.

The movie also introduces a variety of new characters to the Multiverse, all bitten by radioactive spiders before gaining their super powers.

Pavitr Prabhakar, also known as Spider-Man India, is voiced by Karan Soni. Pavitr has only been Spider-Man for six months and is still learning the ropes. He is a kind and compassionate person who always tries to help others, especially Miles.

Spider-Punk, a British version of Spider-Man (Daniel Kaluuya) is a punk rocker with a difficult past who always tries to keep his cool. He is very different in appearance from the other characters, with a spiky hairdo and a 1970s punk rock aesthetic.

He can be seen in black and white and in full color in some parts of the movie, a design choice enhancing the movie.

This is why many people connect with the character of Spider-Man. We all have our struggles in life, and we can all relate to Spider-Man’s desire to do the right thing, even when it is difficult.

This movie captured my heart and became an instant favorite. It brings a new tale of Spider-Man in an all-new way.

Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse is a great example of how animation can be used to tell a compelling story that appeals to a wide audience.

The characters are well-developed and relatable, and the action sequences are exciting and well-choreographed. The movie also does a great job of balancing humor and drama, making it an enjoyable experience for viewers of all ages.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of Spider-Man, animation, or anyone looking for a good story. It is a surefire crowd-pleaser that will leave you entertained from beginning to end.

Princisca Ceant is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.

Read another YJI review of this film:

New ‘Spider-Man’ delivers serious messages