Lunar New Year Photo Essay Photography Top

Celebrating Lunar New Year in Guangzhou, China

Tangerines are extremely popular during the Lunar New Year. It’s customary to give your hosts a pair of tangerines when visiting one. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)
Guangzhou, (Canton in English), is synonymous with cat-tail willows. These plants are displayed at home during the Lunar New Year. They represent freedom and prosperity. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)
Good wishes for the Lunar New Year appear on skyscrapers in Guangzhou. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)
Red is a good luck color and is a big part of Lunar New Year decor. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)
In Guangzhou, China, many facades on the buildings have been turned into giant LED screens. One of them wishes passers-by a Happy New Year. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)
Guangzhou is one of China’s economic powerhouses. It’s widely regarded as a first-tier city, a status designated to China’s most developed and advanced cities including Shanghai and Beijing. The skyscrapers are testament to the city’s economic might. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)
The streets in some parts of Guangzhou are deserted, since many people have left the big city for their hometowns to usher in the Lunar New Year with their families. (Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan/YJI)