Opinion

Mahsa Amini is dead at 22 because of bad men

Mahsa Amini (Center for Human Rights in Iran)

Maringa, BRAZIL – What crime did Mahsa Amini, a young woman with dreams, passions and beliefs, commit?

On September 16, this young Iranian woman died after being seriously beaten for not wearing properly the compulsory hijab, a head covering used by Muslim women and mandated by Iran’s authorities since the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

If a girl is caught without the hair covering, she may face serious consequences, perhaps as terrible as what happened to Amini, Sepideh Rashno and many others. 

But what offense led to the killing of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini?

The only crime she committed was to be born female in a society led by men.

It’s revolting that we still have this shameful treatment toward women in the 21st century. The world is too often led by men who impose rules on how we must speak, eat, think, dress and even dream!

What possible crime did Amini do to receive such a horrific punishment?

Was the brightness of her hair blinding someone? How does a head without a religious accessory affect the life of anyone else?

Unfortunately, she can’t answer questions anymore, since her life was taken by an authoritarian government.   

The next months for Iranian women are likely going to be worse, since the government plans to use facial recognition technology to identify who is or isn’t following the dress code. With its implementation, many other Aminis will be at risk.

Iranians are suffering from inflation and high unemployment, but their government still pays more attention to hair coverings than to its own poor people.

When will women be free to decide their clothes by themselves in Iran without being hunted? 

Nicole Luna is a Reporter with Youth Journalism International.

More from Youth Journalism International about Mahsa Amini:

Dismay and anger at woman’s death in Iran

Mahsa Amini should not have died

Mahsa Amini: it wasn’t about her clothes