Fleeing Katrina Journals News The Tattoo

Wine and celebration

Friday – Bossier City, Louisiana (5:24 p.m. ) — I was accepted!

I’m now a senior at the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts. I move into a dorm on Sunday and my schedule will be made on Monday. Then, on Tuesday, classes will start.

I’m so nervous. It’s like college: the schedule, the dorms, the atmosphere. Seventy percent of the teachers have PhDs. I can’t believe it. I’m scared I won’t be good enough. Everyone’s so much smarter than I am. I know it. I was second in my class at home, but this is so much bigger – and better? I’m scared that I won’t be able to make up what I’ve missed, that it will be too hard. I hope not. I’m nervous!

I met so many nice people in the school’s office today. They were all helpful because they know we don’t have a home anymore. They pursed their lips like the world does, one nod, deep and over-exaggerated. They don’t understand. Not really. See, when their days are over, they head to their homes, where everything is the same for them: lovely brown carpet beneath their bare feet and pretty pink dresses hanging in their closets.

I already know that the other students are so much better than I am. I’m scared I won’t be okay. I miss my friends. I have the feeling that everyone is going to be smarter and richer than I am. I’m nervous and I miss my old school, but I’m excited about starting again. I just hope I fit in.

I’m nervous about the dorm, though. I know I can’t sleep around other people, as hard as I try. I’m so sorry about it, but I can’t help it. I hope I don’t have a roommate. I know I won’t be able to sleep.

But, hey, wine and celebration — I get to finish school!

Samantha Perez is a Reporter for Youth Journalism International.

Read the next #FleeingKatrina entry here.