Perspective Top

From Canada: We’re counting on you, America

Canada is just across the northern U.S. border. (Chuying Huo/YJI)

London, Ontario, CANADA – Growing up, I was never one to be particularly invested in politics or history. The most I ever remember caring about an election was the 2016 Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton race for president.

At that time, I and many of my Canadian peers were thinking, “There’s no way Donald Trump will win this election!”

All I saw were the numerous celebrities promoting Clinton and memes comparing Trump’s hair to a corn stalk.

Parnian Shahsavary/YJI

When Trump did end up winning the election, I remember being shocked but not thinking much about it. Fifth grade me didn’t fully comprehend how the U.S. election could affect my life.

But this time around as a high school student, I recognize the large influence America has on me.

Since the end of WWI, America has dominated the global economy and become one of the world’s most influential countries.

This year, I’m apprehensively following the election, hoping that Trump won’t be re-elected. As a Chinese Canadian immigrant, I have an interesting viewpoint on the election.

As much as Canada likes to think otherwise, we are too tied together not to sink with the U.S. if things get bad.

When the U.S. changes, that inevitably extends to Canada.

Juxtaposed with Canada’s consistent peaceful relations with the U.S., China’s current relationship with the U.S. is at its lowest point in decades.

With tensions high and a potential cold war in the air, I’m on edge about the future.

Some of Ontario’s natural beauty. (Chuying Huo/YJI)

While Trump has perpetuated appalling discrimination against immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ+ people and Asians, he has not remotely attempted to hide it.

I haven’t researched much about his opponent, former Vice President Joe Biden, but there seems to be a lot less outcry about him. As of right now, I’m rooting for Biden just because of my stronger aversion to Trump.

However, politics is messy, and history shows that initial judgments are not everything. After all, politicians are master painters in the art of deception.

Americans, our fate is in your hands. It’s time to take off those rose-tinted glasses and recognize your impact!

Chuying Huo is a Junior Reporter with Youth Journalism International.

The World is Watching is an ongoing series with commentary from YJI students outside the U.S. about the American election. Read more:

From Bangladesh: Vote for democracy and free speech

From Panama: Don’t let history repeat itself

From England: America, your decision is important

From Turkey: U.S. election may encourage – or erode – global democracy

From Mexico: U.S. election will impact our economy

From Nigeria: U.S. election means as much as our own

Polarized and burning, the world needs Americans to vote

From Australia: fascinated, worried by American election

From Morocco: America, we care how you vote